Re: [hockhist] Re: Pulling the goalie

  • Richard Spiegel
    Message 1 of 17 , May 3, 2003
      Is it just my imagination, or do game-tying-goals with the goalie pulled
      seem to be much more common in the playoffs than in the regular season (much
      like 9th inning comebacks in baseball)?
      R.S.
    • John Matthew IV
      Message 2 of 17 , May 3, 2003
        Richard Spiegel wrote:

        > Is it just my imagination, or do game-tying-goals with the goalie pulled
        > seem to be much more common in the playoffs than in the regular season
        (much
        > like 9th inning comebacks in baseball)?

        They do seem very common when Vancouver trails Minnesota.

        John Matthew IV
      • Philip Sutton
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 14, 2003
          Not sure on any stats but recently seen a coach Chris McSorley pulling his
          netminder on a 5 on 3 in the first period with the score 0-0 also he did the
          same when losing 1-0 at the beginning of the third on a 5-3. In the 0-0 game
          the opposition cleared the puck the goalie came back on and then McSorely's
          team regained the puck and scored. In the 1-0 game the tactic worked and the
          game finished 1-1. Told by fellow supporters he often does this. Any one
          else know of this?
        • Jean-Patrice Martel
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 14, 2003
            > --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Sutton" <p.a.sutton@t...>
            > wrote:
            > Not sure on any stats but recently seen a coach Chris McSorley
            > pulling his
            > netminder on a 5 on 3 in the first period with the score 0-0 also
            > he did the
            > same when losing 1-0 at the beginning of the third on a 5-3. In the
            > 0-0 game
            > the opposition cleared the puck the goalie came back on and then
            > McSorely's
            > team regained the puck and scored. In the 1-0 game the tactic
            > worked and the
            > game finished 1-1. Told by fellow supporters he often does this.
            > Any one
            > else know of this?

            Of course there's the (in)famous example of April 5, 1970, where the
            Canadiens (playing the Blackhawks) needed at least a tie or 5 goals
            to make the playoffs, after the Red Wings let the Rangers beat them
            in the afternoon (game mentioned recently on another post).

            Down 5-2 in the third period, coach Claude Ruel came to the
            conclusion he wouldn't get the tie, so he went for the goals, and
            started pulling his goalie every time the Canadiens took control of
            the puck.

            The tactic failed miserably, and Chicago scored five times in an
            empty net, the first goal coming at 12:27 of the third period, and
            the last one at 19:57 (with three seconds left, did they really think
            they could still score 3 goals??).

            Oddly, Pit Martin got a hat trick, but not a single goal in an empty
            net.

            The game ended 10-2 for Chicago, even though the shots on goal were
            very even: 38-37 for Chicago.

            The game is described in detail in "The Game I'll Never Forget"
            (published 2002), it is Tony Esposito's entry (the Blackhawks were
            tied with Boston for first place going into the game, so the game
            meant a lot to them too).

            Jean-Patrice