Re: Hockey News Boxscores

  • surgent
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2 1:37 PM
      Right now, they're about 3 months behind :(

      They decided to delete the box scores from their new, unimproved format.
      This is probably the result of a nutless editor there taking focus group
      feedback as gospel. They can have all the pretty color pictures they
      want, but by removing the day-to-day box scores they have reduced The
      Hockey News to the hockey version of The Sporting News (there was a day of
      yore when TSN was truly a treat to read if you were a baseball fan. I
      have an issue from 1955 and it is amazing how much they crammed into each
      issue).

      I get the issues for free because I advertise in them but I'm really not
      that impressed. The box scores are (to me) the most valuable part of each
      issue.

      Back in around 1972 THN actually included box scores for the NHL, WHA,
      WHL and AHL. The production was amateurish compared to today's standards
      but the content was good.

      Where are the box scores to be had nowadays?

      Scott Surgent

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 17:12:43 -0500
      > From: JohnBench5@...
      > Subject: Hockey News Boxscores
      >
      > Does anyone know how far behind the Hockey News puts their boxscores
      > in a certain issue? For example, if I had the December 15th issue,
      > what are the dates of the boxscores that would be inside? Just
      > curious.
      >
      > Thanks
      > John

    • Joe Pelletier
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2 3:25 PM
        >Where are the box scores to be had nowadays?

        The Hockey News still publishes the boxscores every week. They are just
        available in a new format:

        http://www.thehockeynews.com/game-summaries.html

        --------Joe Pelletier----------------------
        http://www.1972summitseries.com
        In bookstores Now:
        THE WORLD CUP OF HOCKEY
        http://www3.telus.net/worldcuphockey

      • surgent
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3 12:14 PM
          I still feel removing them from the physical magazine was a bad move.

          How long will these be archived?

          On a related note: is there a site that archives hockey game summaries,
          like retrosheet.com does for baseball? Anybody want to start one? This
          would be an amzing (in scope and in work) project.

          Scott Surgent

          > Message: 5
          > Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:25:29 -0800
          > From: "Joe Pelletier" <iamjoepelletier@...>
          > Subject: Re: Re: Hockey News Boxscores
          >
          > >Where are the box scores to be had nowadays?
          >
          > The Hockey News still publishes the boxscores every week. They are just
          > available in a new format:
          >
          > http://www.thehockeynews.com/game-summaries.html
          >
          > --------Joe Pelletier----------------------
          > http://www.1972summitseries.com
          > In bookstores Now:
          > THE WORLD CUP OF HOCKEY
          > http://www3.telus.net/worldcuphockey

        • John Heffron
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3 12:28 PM
            Scott,

            Many people are at work on this already. Check out the Hockey Summary
            Project on Yahoo Groups.

            John