More Shootouts

  • mtlhockey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
      Also there is a similar story on SBN..

      <snip> The NHL board of governors has decided to try shootouts in the NHL
      preseason next year and in the AHL regular season.<snip>

      So it does look like they are moving in that direction. Could have something
      to do with the CBA as well, maybe using it as a bargaining chip?

      I know many of you are not into shootouts, but I do like them and more
      importantly the overall fan base seems to like them. We will find out next
      year.

      Brian

    • howes_elbow
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
        I dearly hope this is not true, my blood is allready starting to
        boil.....

        without getting into too much debate I offer my summarised opinion:

        1. no major poll has shown a majority of fans or players for
        shootouts. and the fans who are opposed seem very opposed.

        2. shootouts will not make up for 60 minutes of boring regulation
        time!

        The vast majority of knowledgable hockey insiders and fans agree, the
        trap is killing hockey. At least try getting rid of the trap before
        drastically changing the game forever and deeply offending core fans.

        --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, mtlhockey@a... wrote:
        > Also there is a similar story on SBN..
        >

        > <snip> The NHL board of governors has decided to try shootouts in
        the NHL
        > preseason next year and in the AHL regular season.<snip>
        >
        > So it does look like they are moving in that direction. Could have
        something
        > to do with the CBA as well, maybe using it as a bargaining chip?
        >
        > I know many of you are not into shootouts, but I do like them and
        more
        > importantly the overall fan base seems to like them. We will find
        out next
        > year.
        >
        > Brian

      • wymanmike
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
          I'd rather see the farce that is overtime discontinued. Yeah, it's a
          little more interesting now that they've gone to four on four but
          there is a problem in awarding as many points for a loss as for a tie.

          Awarding points for a loss might be OK in youth house league hockey
          where self-image and participation are the main components of a
          program but these are the big boys we're talking about here.

          I really don't even see the need for regular season overtime. If
          they've played 60 minutes and the score is tied, let the game go into
          the books as a tie.

          The last thing I want to watch after sitting through three periods of
          a game where 2 teams try not to lose is another five minutes of the
          same.

          And besides, it makes the standings difficult to decipher for us
          dinosaurs.

          Although it would give statsfreaks another set of numbers to digest
          and debate.
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
            >1. no major poll has shown a majority of fans or players for
            >shootouts. and the fans who are opposed seem very opposed.

            There have been polls conducted. Marketing studies etc.

            >2. shootouts will not make up for 60 minutes of boring regulation
            >time!

            I AGREE!

            >The vast majority of knowledgable hockey insiders and fans agree, the
            trap is killing hockey. At least try getting rid of the trap before
            >drastically changing the game forever and deeply offending core fans.

            But there is no real way to get rid of the trap. You can't call a
            penalty for it, hell no ref has the time to even sit there and recognize
            it! Plus there are so many variations.

            The big ice doesn't do it, Sweden has refined the trap better than any
            other country in the late 80's/early 90's. Getting rid of the red line
            doesn't do it, I've seen college teams run it.

            The only two answers would be radical contraction so it would be less
            effective. But if it is unbalanced contraction, you STILL will have
            teams use it! And will we get contraction? And if we do, will it be
            radical, as in at least 6 teams? And if we do, without a DRACONIAN HARD
            salary cap, with COMPLETE revenue sharing you still have disparity.

            Is shoot out going to end it? I'm not so sure. Just allowing shoot out
            may well have the same effect that all too often OT with a guaranteed
            point does, 60 minutes of DULL hockey STILL played. And will it help
            parity? No.

            Now, everyone is saying "but you defended shoot out." And take note, I
            have always advocated it as a LAST resort in a structure that is NASTY
            about failure1 I advocate a 3 point regulation win, 2 point OT win, 1
            point shoot out win and NEVER a POINT for any would be sister kissing
            chicken who puts his sorry butt in the situation of losing! NO POINTS
            for losers!

            Having said this, do I like the idea of shoot out just like they have in
            the coast. Overall, not really. But at the same time, I say the same
            about it that I say there, will I stop watching games? No. Will I have
            fun watching the greats of the game in penalty shot scenarios? Sure! As
            will many "purists" be like the local prude that opens up the Sports
            Illustrated Swim Suit issue an say "awful, horrible, disgraceful..." all
            with a big wide eyed smile on their face before they go stomping out
            saying "I HATE PORNOGRAPHY!"
            You'll see Leaf fans up on their feet watching Sundin's every move in
            the shot out. If he scores they'll say "did you see that move" if he
            fails and the other team wins, they'll say "I hate shoot out."

            And, on the other hand, novice fans will like it so will kids! Remember
            Showdown in the NHL? It was one of the all time most popular between
            periods features in history. So do I see actually real harm? No.

            The harm has been done. The NHL went to 30 teams as a part corporate
            vision
            that is worthy of an opium den! The economics of the sport have went to
            hell! The tactical by product is the trap. I shake my head more about
            these abhorations than I ever will shoot out. Unless we get to deciding
            playoff games by it then enough will be enough!

            Simply put, this issue is MINOR compared to all of the multiple insults
            knowledgable fans have been pelted with over ten years. It is like being
            called a dummy after having your dog kicked, your mother's virtue
            questioned and being called a no good !@##$ %^^&*(). Great hockey towns
            losing teams to cities who think icing is something that belongs on a
            cake! Tickets in the hundred plus range, quite often charged to swatch
            teams that are minor league clubs in disguise. These are a bit more
            offensive in my book...

            --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, mtlhockey@a... wrote:
            > Also there is a similar story on SBN..
            >

            > <snip> The NHL board of governors has decided to try shootouts in
            the NHL
            > preseason next year and in the AHL regular season.<snip>
            >
            > So it does look like they are moving in that direction. Could have
            something
            > to do with the CBA as well, maybe using it as a bargaining chip?
            >
            > I know many of you are not into shootouts, but I do like them and
            more
            > importantly the overall fan base seems to like them. We will find
            out next
            > year.
            >
            > Brian

            hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • mtlhockey@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
              I am sure you all got the joke, but April Fools.

              Brian