Re: RE: [hockhist] Re: Ice Guys Finish Last

    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 3, 2003
      > From: "William Underwood" <wausport@...>
      > Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:09:38 -0500

      > Oh well, at least college, minor pro and junior barns still have
      > character...

      I'm currently quite fond of the Allman Arena in Stratford, Ontario (Morey Holzman and Joe Nieforth have
      grown tired of my going on about the place, since I spent a weekend there when I was supposed to be
      editing their book!).

      Built in the early '20s, and it has a grand old vaulted barn-style roof -- made of wood, of course. Some
      of the advertising signs look as if they were there when the building went up. Row upon row of those
      old-style double seats. I love to look up at the roof and note which boards have been replaced and
      have yet to be painted white to match the others.

      Pictures of Howie Morenz (who didn't play there, I was disappointed to learn) everywhere, and display
      cases full of treasures like Craig Hartsburg's Minnesota North Stars jersey. The local junior B team
      has never finished lower than third out of ten teams, and in the 80s and early 90s, the Cullitons sent a
      string of players to the NHL -- Ed Olczyk, Boyd Devereaux, Chris Pronger, and Rob Blake spring to
      mind.

      Tickets are seven bucks. You can buy five chances in the 50/50 draw for nine bucks. (Never won the
      jackpot, although I did win a free haircut last season at Fan Appreciation Night.)

      Lloyd Davis Publishing Services
      201-488 Danforth Avenue
      Toronto, ON M4K 1P6
      416-465-6999 (tel.) /// 416-462-0326 (fax)
      ldavis2@...
      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 8, 2003
        And even with Clement the ratings are subterrainian. It all comes back
        to the game. People don't watch TV for listening content, it is a VISUAL
        medium. Hell, many people watch games in bars or other places where you
        can't hear over the music or the noise. And bars FILL UP for football,
        and are dead for hockey. You can't have a special hockey night, hell, if
        half of the patrons realize you will have hockey on, they'll go
        elsewhere if there is another event to watch! You can build ENITIRE
        NIGHTS around football, boxing, baseball playoffs, key hoop game but not
        hockey. And the announcers don't even come into play!

        The announcers are just another lame thing to blame. You could have two
        chimps scream during an NFL game and still have it sell. In fact, the
        NFL experimented with NO announcers once and the ratings STILL were
        decent. Hockey can bring in Al Micheals or whomever but the ratings stay
        static, somewhere between the late unlamented XFL and a TV blight that
        wiped out every cathode ray tube in the country.