Re: Canadian Billionaire Confirms Interest in Ottawa Senators

  • howes_elbow <maleestrus@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
      > Granted, the team pretty much can't be plucked out of
      > Ottawa for broad political reasons, so US investors
      > who might want to buy and move them to, say, the
      > Pacific northwest, might shy away. Still, I'm
      > surprised more 'wealthy hockey fans' haven't been
      > lining up their ducks to make a run for this team.
      >
      > Rob Swiniarski
      >
      > Brampton ON
      > francz39@y...

      Its a nice change for sure having a bonified owner in the works for
      ottawa, instead of that snake oil salesman bryden. Someone should
      have told him long ago that you cant be a capitalist without actually
      having capital. Ottawa deserves an owner who doesnt lie to the fans
      constantly or blame them for financial losses that he incurred.

      Realistic planning would have put that franchise on much more stable
      ground. Did Bryden really expect the bubble to float in Kanata?
      Surely if they put the arena in downtown ottawa like the city
      suggested instead of a rush hour away in kanata, they would have a
      much broader market and get more fans. Who really wants to drive an
      hour in traffic to go to a Senators game after work?

      One can only hope the NHL isnt orchestrating this whole mess behind
      the scenes to plead its case to the NHLPA. My pessimistic side
      suggests the NHL will stick with bryden through hell or high water
      and blow off any newcomers. Can anyone explain why the NHL is so
      commited to people like Bryden and Hamister when there potential
      owners with real capital out there?

      The portland relocation angle that is threatened secretly by the NHL
      through the media is ridiculous. Will the canadian media ever expose
      this fraud? The only owner who can bring a team to Portland is Paul
      Allen. He owns the rose garden, and no NHL team could survive
      financially as his tenant.

      Allen has zero interest in the NHL. He doesnt want competition for
      his blazers and doesnt have faith in the economics of the game. And
      beyond politely rejecting the NHL's proposal for an expansion team
      around 1995, he has never made a bid for any NHL team. Not phoenix or
      pittsburgh. The NHL contacted him when the future of those teams was
      in doubt. They are pursuing him, not the other way around. But thats
      not what the media would have you believe. By whats said in the media
      Paul Allen is on the verge of relocating every struggling club in the
      league. By their logic portland should practically have its own
      division in the NHL.
    • James Milks
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
        A co-worker of mine, who worked for SHL, the company where Bryden did
        make a lot of his money, told me that one year at the christmas party,
        the boss blasted staff for not having spirit and that it was they're
        fault the company was losing money.

        I guess nothing is ever his fault.

        > Granted, the team pretty much can't be plucked out of
        > Ottawa for broad political reasons, so US investors
        > who might want to buy and move them to, say, the
        > Pacific northwest, might shy away. Still, I'm
        > surprised more 'wealthy hockey fans' haven't been
        > lining up their ducks to make a run for this team.
        >
        > Rob Swiniarski
        >
        > Brampton ON
        > francz39@y...

        Its a nice change for sure having a bonified owner in the works for
        ottawa, instead of that snake oil salesman bryden. Someone should
        have told him long ago that you cant be a capitalist without actually
        having capital. Ottawa deserves an owner who doesnt lie to the fans
        constantly or blame them for financial losses that he incurred.

        Realistic planning would have put that franchise on much more stable
        ground. Did Bryden really expect the bubble to float in Kanata?
        Surely if they put the arena in downtown ottawa like the city
        suggested instead of a rush hour away in kanata, they would have a
        much broader market and get more fans. Who really wants to drive an
        hour in traffic to go to a Senators game after work?

        One can only hope the NHL isnt orchestrating this whole mess behind
        the scenes to plead its case to the NHLPA. My pessimistic side
        suggests the NHL will stick with bryden through hell or high water
        and blow off any newcomers. Can anyone explain why the NHL is so
        commited to people like Bryden and Hamister when there potential
        owners with real capital out there?

        The portland relocation angle that is threatened secretly by the NHL
        through the media is ridiculous. Will the canadian media ever expose
        this fraud? The only owner who can bring a team to Portland is Paul
        Allen. He owns the rose garden, and no NHL team could survive
        financially as his tenant.

        Allen has zero interest in the NHL. He doesnt want competition for
        his blazers and doesnt have faith in the economics of the game. And
        beyond politely rejecting the NHL's proposal for an expansion team
        around 1995, he has never made a bid for any NHL team. Not phoenix or
        pittsburgh. The NHL contacted him when the future of those teams was
        in doubt. They are pursuing him, not the other way around. But thats
        not what the media would have you believe. By whats said in the media
        Paul Allen is on the verge of relocating every struggling club in the
        league. By their logic portland should practically have its own
        division in the NHL.

        hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
          The problem with Golisano was more that he wantes state funds that aren't
          coming.

          But this IS good new that a Canadian interest is stepping forward. It
          certainly enhances the odds of Ottawa staying put at least for a while!

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
            Yep. Allen is sort of like his buddy Gates in his lack of interest in the
            NHL. The only difference is he wouldn't mind having a team as a TENENT as
            you say top collect rent from.

            Now you also bring up a good point about Ottawa...the suburban arena. It is
            generally a BAD move unless the population demographics REALLY suit it. I
            remember the basket case that Richfield always was for the Cleveland market!
            Now if you are talking about say Auburn Hills in Detroit, there is some
            sense, much of the best demographic segment for sports in that area had went
            north of the city so centering a building near an interstate in that area
            made sense! But usually these things have the SAME troubles you talk about.

            As for why does the NHL deal with people like Bryden and co....I think
            seomtimes because as I've said and you've just hinted, a lot of savy
            business people like Gates and Allen see it for what it is, a league with a
            limited Amercian market who's economics are plain old silly! I think they at
            times get desparate! They also STILL have all too much old crony
            mentality...somebody knows a guy so...Finally, hey, this is the league that
            basically accepted John Spano, nearly took Mike Largue, two known confidence
            men as owners. Thier investigative and judgement capacities are beyond
            question, they are just plain old bad! but then again doesn't that fit along
            with most of their other business instincts?

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
              No winder they love him! He fits the corporate culture from Bettman on
              down...there are no real problems (outside fo the NHLPA)...we didn't screw
              up on expansion...there are reasons that TV ratings keep dropping...there
              are no sponsorship issues...nope outside of the NHLPA there are no problems
              at all, they just lack the "spirit"...

              Now of course the NHLPA has it's own version of this...it is all an evil
              plot by owners...of course a sport with miniscule TV money ought to pay it's
              players as well or better than many big three atheletes...there are two
              teams in chapter 11 but it's just a part of their plot...the attendence
              going down has nothing to do with the prices that come with the cost of the
              product...those darn owners lack "spirit".

              It seems to me that ole Bryden fits in the club well! No wonder they want to
              keep him!

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                on 1/31/03 7:48 PM, francz at francz39@... wrote:

                > So, what happens to the Firestone
                > legacy, the burden of debt saddling the Sens? I can't
                > imagine one of the conditions of purchase is that
                > Melnyk will generously assume all those liabilities.

                I would suspect not. Especially since the Bryden/Peltz bid seems to leave
                creditors out in the cold.

                If I were a supplier to the Senators, however, I'd have a lot more
                confidence in maintaining them as I client with Melnyk --- or anyone but
                Bryden --- in the driver's seat.

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                  on 2/1/03 10:45 AM, William Underwood at wausport@... wrote:

                  > The problem with Golisano was more that he wantes state funds that aren't
                  > coming.

                  According to a piece in today's Buffalo News, Golisano wanted state tax
                  breaks and "county revenue givebacks."

                  He and the state are on the same page about at least one issue: no state
                  money for Adelphia's or the Sabres' creditors.

                  Whereas Hamister wants actual cash money. He wants a $21.4 million loan from
                  the state of New York, as well as $10 million for arena improvements,
                  "energy price breaks and other assistance."

                  Governor Pataki is adamant that Hamister will receive no state money. For
                  one thing, the state just doesn't have the money. For another, it would blow
                  up in Pataki's face if state money were to find its way into the pockets of
                  Adelphia's creditors.

                  Oddly enough, the state _would_ consider funding the capital improvements
                  that Hamister wants at the HSBC Arena.

                  Anyway, here's a link:
                  http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030201/1037691.asp

                  --
                • mtlhockey@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                    wausport@... writes:

                    > But this IS good new that a Canadian interest is stepping forward. It
                    > certainly enhances the odds of Ottawa staying put at least for a while!

                    Melynk has said he wants to keep the team in Ottawa. Remeber this is for both
                    the team and the arena, so it makes sense for whoever buys it to keep the
                    Sens in Ottawa. That said, the fans will have to support the team. You have
                    the best most exciting team in the NHL...enjoy it!!

                    Brian

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
                      >> The problem with Golisano was more that he wantes state funds that aren't
                      >> coming.

                      >According to a piece in today's Buffalo News, Golisano wanted state tax
                      >breaks and "county revenue givebacks."

                      Correst.

                      >He and the state are on the same page about at least one issue: no state
                      money for Adelphia's or the Sabres' creditors.

                      Whereas Hamister wants actual cash money. He wants a $21.4 million loan from
                      the state of New York, as well as $10 million for arena improvements,
                      >"energy price breaks and other assistance."

                      Correct also, I should have been clearer. But the bottom line is both want
                      some major concessions from the state.

                      >Governor Pataki is adamant that Hamister will receive no state money. For
                      one thing, the state just doesn't have the money. For another, it would blow
                      up in Pataki's face if state money were to find its way into the pockets of
                      >Adelphia's creditors.

                      Whihc is understandable.

                      >Oddly enough, the state _would_ consider funding the capital improvements
                      >that Hamister wants at the HSBC Arena.

                      It's not really that odd. It might be able to spill over to other products
                      making ait a more profitable venture for other events thus stimulating
                      economic activity in the area. at least theretically...