Rink width

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2002
      In today's Toronto Sun, there was an item that mentioned that the Florida
      Panthers got out the tape measure at AmericaWest Arena in Phoenix. They
      found the rink is only 72 feet wide, and 192 feet long.

      I understand the AmericaWest Arena wasn't built as a dual-purpose arena, and
      that they'd have to compromise to get an ice surface in there, but that
      sounds more like a bowling lane than an NHL arena!

      Naturally, the Coyotes' 2002-03 training camp guide insists the rink is 200
      by 85.

      Has anyone noticed the ice in Phoenix to be unusually narrow, and can anyone
      name an example of a rink that was narrower than the reported 72 feet? (In
      my high school days, I always had my doubts about the rink at St. Michael's
      College here in Toronto, which is now the home of the Majors of the OHL.)

      --
      Lloyd Davis
      Lloyd Davis Publishing Services
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
        In a message dated 11/30/02 1:41:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        ldavis2@... writes:

        << Has anyone noticed the ice in Phoenix to be unusually narrow, and can
        anyone
        name an example of a rink that was narrower than the reported 72 feet? (In
        my high school days, I always had my doubts about the rink at St. Michael's
        College here in Toronto, which is now the home of the Majors of the OHL.)

        Yeah the ice surface is a bit smaller there, you can see it. AWA is a
        terrible arena for hockey for a variety of reasons.

        Brian
      • George Lloyd
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2002
          That was Mike Keenan blowing smoke. The rink was measured a few days
          later. The width was 84 feet 4 inches wide so YES it IS a LITTLE
          narrow.

          George

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2002
            On Monday, December 2, George Lloyd wrote:

            > That was Mike Keenan blowing smoke. The rink was
            measured a few days
            > later. The width was 84 feet 4 inches wide so YES it
            IS a LITTLE
            > narrow.

            A-ha. I figured that if the rink were indeed as narrow as
            Keenan was suggesting, we'd have heard about it by
            now.

            Instead, the litany of complaints and smart-alecky
            comments from newspaper columnists was
            conspicuous by its absence.

            (Al Strachan would have made it a personal hobby
            horse by now, perhaps linking it to the conspiracy --
            which exists primarily in his own mind -- by "New York
            lawyers" to destroy the game.)

            Lloyd Davis Publishing Services
            201-488 Danforth Avenue
            Toronto, ON M4K 1P6
            416-465-6999 (tel.) /// 416-462-0326 (fax)
            ldavis2@...