Re: [hockhist] The ubiquitous Alain Chevrier...

  • Doug Norris
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
      On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Houda wrote:

      > According to Chicago's 90-91 media guide it was Chevrier who got
      > credited with the loss.
      > Cloutier played 51 min. in the game and had a GAA of 1,18.
      > Chevrier only played 9 min. in that Jan.27 game.
      >
      > The series total against Hartford 89-90:
      >
      > Alain Chevrier 3 GP 2 W 1 L 129 Min. 4,65 GAA
      > Jacques Cloutier 1 GP 0 W 0 L 51 min. 1,18 GAA

      Thanks, Pat! That's very spooky, because now I'm out of options :-) I
      suppose that the AP could have written down the wrong goaltender's name for
      the box score (Chevrier and Cloutier are reasonably similar). A second option
      would be operator error on my part...hmm.

      These are the dates of Chevrier's thirteen losses (he had two additional
      losses in which he split the game with Jimmy Waite; therefore, they aren't
      possibilities) in question. The notes on the right-hand side are what the AP
      boxscore "told" me (which, again, could (is?) be in question)

      October 5 (8-3 loss vs. Chicago) - Chevrier gave up the first four goals
      before being replaced by Cloutier
      October 8 (5-3 loss vs. Rangers) - Chevrier played the entire game
      October 19 (5-3 loss vs. Quebec) - Chevrier played the entire game, not
      counting an ENG
      October 28 (3-2 loss at New Jersey) - Chevrier gave up all three goals before
      being replaced by Cloutier
      November 4 (3-0 loss at Minnesota) - Chevrier played the entire game
      November 19 (5-4 OT loss at Edmonton) - Chevrier started (and finished) the
      game, briefly interrupted by Cloutier,
      giving up all five goals
      November 26 (5-3 loss at Minnesota) - Chevrier played the entire game
      November 30 (2-0 loss vs. Islanders) - Chevrier played the entire game
      December 3 (4-3 loss vs. Detroit) - Chevrier played the entire game
      January 27 (6-4 defeat at Hartford) - Pat Houda has confirmed that this is
      Chevrier's loss
      February 10 (4-6 defeat at Minnesota) - Chevrier played the entire game
      February 22 (6-3 defeat vs. Boston) - Chevrier played the entire game
      March 3 (4-3 defeat at Boston) - Chevrier played the entire game

      After that, Alain was traded to the Penguins, and began to disappear
      altogether from hockey's collective consciousness.

      At this point, I might have to make the trek to Denver, where the Sun-Times is
      (hopefully) available at their library. Here, I would normally insert a quip
      about the wide newspaper selection at CU's media library, but I'll skip that
      for now.

      Thanks,
      Doug

      Douglas Todd Norris (norrisdt@...), Ph.D. (Mathematics)
      Hockey Goaltender Home Page:http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~norrisdt/goalie.html
      "I can see why it would be prohibited to throw most things off the top of the
      Empire State Building, but what's wrong with little bits of cheese? They
      probably break down into their various gases before they even hit."
      - Deep Thought, Jack Handey