Hockey Cards

  • arch4web
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 5, 2002
      Hi HockHist_list:

      I have a totally silly question... So, don't throw rotten tomatos at
      me, but... when was the first hockey cards set published or when was
      the whole idea invented?

      Thanks in advance,

      ___ Arthur Chidlovski _____________
      Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the
      1972 USSR vs. Canada Summit Series
      at http://www.chidlovski.com/p1972.htm
    • James Milks
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 5, 2002
        It's worth noting that postcards and advertising cards featuring hockey
        games and teams (not pro) predated the 1910-11 sets, but they were indeed
        the first to feature players from pro teams. You might also be surprised at
        how small they are as well. They are about 1/3 the size of modern day cards.

        James

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 5, 2002
          The first set of hockey cards (according to most sources) is
          designated C56 by the American Card Catalog. The cards were issued
          by Imperial Tobacco, and were inserts which were included with packs
          of cigarettes (one card per pack). The cards were issued circa 1910-
          11 and measure 1 1/2" by 2 5/8". They were lithographs of actual
          photos of the players and appeared in color. There are 36 cards in
          the set.

          Values fluctuate widely... but common players can be found in "Very
          Good" condition for as low as $20-25. Some of the star players
          included in the set are Frank Patrick, Lester Patrick, Art Ross (two
          poses), and Newsy Lalonde.

          As a note, the first baseball cards date from circa 1886 and were
          also cigarette premiums.

          Jeff
          http://www.seattlehockey.net

          --- In hockhist@y..., "arch4web" <arch4web@y...> wrote:
          > Hi HockHist_list:
          >
          > I have a totally silly question... So, don't throw rotten tomatos
          at
          > me, but... when was the first hockey cards set published or when
          was
          > the whole idea invented?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > ___ Arthur Chidlovski _____________
          > Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the
          > 1972 USSR vs. Canada Summit Series
          > at http://www.chidlovski.com/p1972.htm
        • Jay Miller
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 5, 2002

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 5, 2002
              Thanks James. I was going to mention that but just missed doing so.

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 6, 2002
                One final note. Many of the early cards (20s anyway) are FULL of errors. I
                know of two cards that feature photos of players other than the ones they
                are supposed to, and countless cards have spelling mistakes on names. I
                wonder if the unknown players even knew they were actually on a card?

                James

                The first set of hockey cards (according to most sources) is
                designated C56 by the American Card Catalog. The cards were issued
                by Imperial Tobacco, and were inserts which were included with packs
                of cigarettes (one card per pack). The cards were issued circa 1910-
                11 and measure 1 1/2" by 2 5/8". They were lithographs of actual
                photos of the players and appeared in color. There are 36 cards in
                the set.

                Values fluctuate widely... but common players can be found in "Very
                Good" condition for as low as $20-25. Some of the star players
                included in the set are Frank Patrick, Lester Patrick, Art Ross (two
                poses), and Newsy Lalonde.

                As a note, the first baseball cards date from circa 1886 and were
                also cigarette premiums.

                Jeff
                http://www.seattlehockey.net

                --- In hockhist@y..., "arch4web" <arch4web@y...> wrote:
                > Hi HockHist_list:
                >
                > I have a totally silly question... So, don't throw rotten tomatos
                at
                > me, but... when was the first hockey cards set published or when
                was
                > the whole idea invented?
                >
                > Thanks in advance,
                >
                > ___ Arthur Chidlovski _____________
                > Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the
                > 1972 USSR vs. Canada Summit Series
                > at http://www.chidlovski.com/p1972.htm

                hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

              • Keith Lenn
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 6, 2002
                  Arthur and others,

                  Some of this info will be repeating what others have stated and some may be
                  new. At the end of this longish email I have some links to these cards from
                  my own website for those who are interested. Some of you may have never
                  seen these cards before so I hope you get a kick out of them!

                  There are three early sets are usually considered as the first hockey sets.
                  They are as referred to as follows:

                  C56 - cards produced most likely in 1910-1911
                  C55 - cards produced most likely in 1911-1912
                  C57 - cards produced most likely in 1912-1913

                  Collectors refer to the cards either by their "C" number or as Imperial
                  Tobacco issues. However, most card collectors don;t realize that it is only
                  ASSUMED or SPECULATED that these early cards were produced by Imperial
                  Tobacco.

                  Since you asked about the first cards, let's just focus in on the C56 set
                  for now. It's a full-color set featuring 36 cards. The cards are really
                  tiny as compared to the standard sized cards of today. The early tobacco
                  cards measured just 1 1/2 by 2 5/8 inches for the C56 set as well as the C57
                  set. For some reason the C55 set, which is the most common of the three
                  early sets, was cut at 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches.

                  The C56 set, from 1910-1911, "books" at around $10,000 in Excellent-Mint
                  condition and $5000 in Very Good-Excellent condition. Keep in mind that the
                  wording used to grade cards is a bit deceptive. For example, I would
                  basically throw away a Paul Kariya card in only excellent condition, as that
                  would mean that the corners or surface, or a host of other factors, made the
                  card appear, well, not so pleasing to the eye. However, for cards pre-1980,
                  sometimes these lower grades are acceptable. For the "C" cards, however, I
                  would not hesitate to pick up a card for the right price even if it was
                  bent, creased, folded, missing a corner, etc. Common cards book anywhere
                  from $60 to $75 in Very Good to Excellent condition, though they are
                  commonly found on Ebay in the $20 to $40 price range.

                  Here is the 1910-1911 checklist and then I have provided some links at the
                  bottom of the checklist to view a few cards from my own personal collection
                  which are located in the Memorabilia of the Week section of my
                  www.HockeySandwich.com site:

                  C56 1910-1911
                  1 Frank Patrick
                  2 Percy Lesueur
                  3 Gordon Roberts
                  4 Barney Holden
                  5 Frank "Pud" Glass
                  6 Edgar Dey
                  7 Marty Walsh
                  8 Art Ross
                  9 Angus Campbell
                  10 Harry Hyland
                  11 Herb Clark
                  12 Art Ross (yes, two cards for Ross in this set)
                  13 Ed Decary
                  14 Tom Dunderdale
                  15 Cyclone Taylor
                  16 Joseph Cattarinich
                  17 Bruce Stuart
                  18 Nick Bawlf
                  19 Jim Jones
                  20 Ernie Russell
                  21 Jack Laviolette
                  22 Riley Hern (view this card at
                  http://www.hockeysandwich.com/mem090101.html )
                  23 Didier Pitre
                  24 Skinner Poulin
                  25 Art Bernier
                  26 Lester Patrick
                  27 Fred Lake
                  28 Paddy Moran
                  29 C. Toms
                  30 Moose Johnson
                  31 Horace Gaul
                  32 Harold McNamara
                  33 Jack Marshall
                  34 Bruce Ridpath
                  35 Jack Marshall
                  36 Newsy Lalonde

                  Links to C55 cards in my collection:

                  Steve Vair - http://www.hockeysandwich.com/mem082501.html
                  Albert Kerr - http://www.hockeysandwich.com/mem040100.html
                  Ernie Russell - http://www.hockeysandwich.com/mem032500.html
                  Fred Lake and Didier Pitre - http://www.hockeysandwich.com/mem010800.html

                  I have the other checklists too if anyone needs them. Contact me if you
                  have anymore questions about these or other vintage cards.

                  Keith Lenn
                  Keith@...
                  Read "The Hockey Collector" at http://sportznutz.com/nhl/hockey_collector
                  Read "Penned By Lenn" at www.PHPA.com - The Professional Hockey Players'
                  Association Official Website
                  www.HockeySandwich.com
                • epenaltybox
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 6, 2002
                    When the National Card Convention was out here about eight years ago,
                    I bought a replica of the C56 and C57 sets for about $25 apiece. The
                    only difference between mine and the original is a little line in
                    about 6 point type on the back that states "reprint" - and all the
                    cards are in mint condition.

                    Morey - who wishes he could remember the name of the Canadian dealer
                    he bought them from, but can't

                  • Keith Lenn
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 6, 2002
                      Morey wrote:

                      > When the National Card Convention was out here about eight years ago,
                      > I bought a replica of the C56 and C57 sets for about $25 apiece. The
                      > only difference between mine and the original is a little line in
                      > about 6 point type on the back that states "reprint" - and all the
                      > cards are in mint condition.

                      Morey,

                      Every once in a while I do searches on Ebay for the C55 set and those
                      reprint sets pop up quite often. Never purchased one though but they are
                      routinely there. Maybe one of the sellers is the dealers you are looking
                      for?

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 6, 2002
                        Jay, James, Jeff, Keith and Morey:

                        Thank you all for your fantastic replies to the Hockey Cards
                        question. It's simply amazing. Now, I feel like I have a PhD or
                        something in this area :-)

                        Again, always appreciative,

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 6, 2002
                          Arthur wrote:

                          > Thank you all for your fantastic replies to the Hockey Cards
                          > question. It's simply amazing. Now, I feel like I have a PhD or
                          > something in this area :-)

                          My pleasure as it is my passion. And even with my knowledge, there are a
                          few who know so much more. Just a few though :)

                          Keith Lenn
                          Keith@...
                          Read "The Hockey Collector" at http://sportznutz.com/nhl/hockey_collector
                          Read "Penned By Lenn" at www.PHPA.com - The Professional Hockey Players'
                          Association Official Website
                          www.HockeySandwich.com
                        • Iain Fyffe
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 7, 2002
                            As a vaguely related note, there were also three sets of lacrosse cards
                            produced from 1910-1912, by the same manufacturer. The first set contained
                            100 cards (including a team that none of the experts I know recognize), the
                            second had 98, and the third 56 (I think). I can give more details if
                            anyone wants to know.

                            Iain.

                          • Jay Miller
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 7, 2002
                              Just a note on the lacrosse cards... there are numerous hockey players that
                              played both sports. Some of those hockey players grace the fronts of the
                              lacrosse cards including Hall of Famer Newsy Lalonde.

                              Jay

                              At 11:59 AM 8/7/02 -0300, you wrote:
                              >As a vaguely related note, there were also three sets of lacrosse cards
                              >produced from 1910-1912, by the same manufacturer. The first set contained
                              >100 cards (including a team that none of the experts I know recognize), the
                              >second had 98, and the third 56 (I think). I can give more details if
                              >anyone wants to know.
                              >
                              >Iain.

                            • James Milks
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 7, 2002
                                I do. Availabitiy? Cost? Etc...

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 10, 2002
                                  BTW - Odd one here, but does anyone know what became of Champ's cigarettes?
                                  Was it only a Canadian brand? When did they disappear? Anyone ever see a
                                  pack? A Google search only turns up a few links for the cards.

                                  James
                                • Keith Lenn
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 10, 2002
                                    James wrote:

                                    > BTW - Odd one here, but does anyone know what became of Champ's
                                    cigarettes?
                                    > Was it only a Canadian brand? When did they disappear? Anyone ever see a
                                    > pack? A Google search only turns up a few links for the cards.

                                    James,

                                    Don't know what happened to Champ's Cigarettes but if it was a Canadian
                                    brnad, then it was most likely distributed in a solely anglophone market.
                                    This hypothesis is based on the fact that the cards, produced in 1924-25,
                                    only come in English. I've never heard of a French version of these cards.

                                    The 1924-25 set is commonly referred to by collectors as the "C144" set.
                                    There are 60 cards in the set but the cards are unnumbered. The cards
                                    feature a sepia tone to them and a bio of each player is written on the
                                    reverse of the card in English. Cards measure 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches.

                                    There are four key cards in this particular set, most notably the Howie
                                    Morenz issue which can command between $3,000 and $4,000 in Excellent-Mint
                                    condition (which for non-card collectors means that the card is banged up a
                                    bit). There's a King Clancy card worth around $2,000 in Excellent-Mint
                                    condition and a Georges Vezina card which is also worth about $2,000 in
                                    Excellent-Mint condition. Maybe the bargain of the set is the Aurel Joliat
                                    card, which would set you back between $1500 and $1800 in Excellent-Mint
                                    condition. Cards from this set found in conditions of near-mint and better
                                    are few and far-between...extremely scarce.

                                    Since the cards are unnumbered, it would be no surprise that collectors kept
                                    their cards in alphabetical order and then rubber-banded to keep them
                                    together. So it should also be no surprise that the Jack Adams and Georges
                                    Vezina cards should be the toughest to find in higher grades since those
                                    cards probably took more abuse than the others, although you can acquire the
                                    Jack Adams card in the neighborhood of $250 - $300 in Excellent-Mint
                                    condition. For those who collect older baseball and football cards, you
                                    know - before the cards had any collector value, this is why the first and
                                    last cards of a set are usually tough to find in higher grades; they took
                                    the brunt of the rubber-band damage and so forth, so on.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 10, 2002
                                      Thanks Keith,
                                      I'm starting to think that maybe they weren't "Champs" brand, but that is
                                      what they referred to the cards as. I have seen an ad for "Champs" cards,
                                      which were found in "New Virginia Cigarettes". But a google search turned up
                                      nothing on New Virginia Cigarettes either.