Re: Soviet Hockey Refereeing Article

  • arch4web
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
      ><><><><><><><><><><><><><
      > Here is an interesting article
      > about refereeing in the old Soviet days...
      ><><><><><><><><><><><><><

      Very interesting article.

      Comment (totally OT): I still think that the ugliest and the dirtiest
      Soviet refereeing wasn't in hockey but in soccer. There were games in
      the USSR Elite soccer league when teams and officials were bribed by
      the opponents. They even had a term - "dogovornye matchy" (game-by-
      agreement). In 1972 (or '73), it went further than just a game. Zarya
      Voroshilovgrad won the whole USSR Elite Soccer League championship by
      bribing officials, teams... Damn, that was one of the most shameful
      moments in the history of sports and everybody knew it and kept quiet
      about it :-( But, I guess it's an "economic" cheat vs. "political"
      cheat in hockey.

      Just lurking,

      ___ Arthur Chidlovski _____________
      Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the