Soviet Hockey Refereeing Article

  • Joe Pelletier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31 11:07 PM
      Here is an interesting article about refereeing in the old Soviet days:
      http://www.hockeyrefs.com/intheheadlines/April82002FeatureArticle.htm

      Also, 1972 Summit Series.com has unveiled a look at the refereeing of the
      series. The article is entitled Baader and Worse.

      --------Joe Pelletier----------
      http://www.1972summitseries.com

      Coming to bookstores in Oct 2002:
      THE WORLD CUP OF HOCKEY
      http://www3.telus.net/worldcuphockey

    • arch4web
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
        ><><><><><><><><><><><><><
        > Here is an interesting article
        > about refereeing in the old Soviet days...
        ><><><><><><><><><><><><><

        Very interesting article.

        Comment (totally OT): I still think that the ugliest and the dirtiest
        Soviet refereeing wasn't in hockey but in soccer. There were games in
        the USSR Elite soccer league when teams and officials were bribed by
        the opponents. They even had a term - "dogovornye matchy" (game-by-
        agreement). In 1972 (or '73), it went further than just a game. Zarya
        Voroshilovgrad won the whole USSR Elite Soccer League championship by
        bribing officials, teams... Damn, that was one of the most shameful
        moments in the history of sports and everybody knew it and kept quiet
        about it :-( But, I guess it's an "economic" cheat vs. "political"
        cheat in hockey.

        Just lurking,

        ___ Arthur Chidlovski _____________
        Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the