German league results 2001-02

  • Ralph Slate
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 3:50 PM
      I know I've asked this a few times for past seasons, but I'm a little thick-headed and I don't read German.

      Can someone familiar with the German leagues (DEL, 2.Bundesliga, Oberliga, Regionalliga Süd) explain to me what the season format was this year?

      My impression is this:

      1) DEL is completely separate, no relegation/promotion. They operate just like the NHL, essentially.

      2) 2.Bundesliga. 52 regular season games. Teams 1-8 go on to playoffs. What do teams 9-14 do? (they have "playoff" stats listed on the DEB site, called "Abstieg"). All teams seem to play 10 additional games.

      3) Oberliga. 52 regular season games. Then what?

      4) Regionalliga Süd. 44 regular season games? This was very confusing because I had to dig deep on the DEB site to find the standings. It seems like the top 8 teams do something, and the bottom 4 maybe have a "playdown", and then maybe participate in relegation/promotion round with some other league?

      Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

      Ralph
      http://www.hockeydb.com
    • h0ckeynut17
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30 4:35 PM
        All the following off the top of my head:

        > 1) DEL is completely separate, no relegation/promotion. They
        operate just like the NHL, essentially.

        Basically yes, but there is a relegation/promotion now. Berlin
        Capitals lost to Schwenningen in this if I recall. It was a moot
        point as the Caps are going bust anyway.

        > 2) 2.Bundesliga. 52 regular season games. Teams 1-8 go on to
        playoffs. What do teams 9-14 do? (they have "playoff" stats listed on
        the DEB site, called "Abstieg"). All teams seem to play 10 additional
        games.

        Abstieg = Relegation, or literally translated, 'down climb'. Guess
        what Aufstieg means ;o)

        > 3) Oberliga. 52 regular season games. Then what?

        I would assume some kind of promotion and relegation format.

        > 4) Regionalliga Süd. 44 regular season games? This was very
        confusing because I had to dig deep on the DEB site to find the
        standings. It seems like the top 8 teams do something, and the bottom
        4 maybe have a "playdown", and then maybe participate in
        relegation/promotion round with some other league?

        This is where the pyramid starts. The Regionalliga does not only have
        a South, but also a North, and a couple of others too. The winners of
        these would normally combine to provide the promoted teams, in some
        kind of national playoff. Relegation from the Regionalliga level
        would be to the Landesliga level which is based on the "Bundesländer"
        or federal states. Again, there would be some kind of regional
        playoffs, maybe combining all the teams in one region. For example,
        the top few of the Bavarian Landesliga would meet the top few of the
        Baden-Württemburg Landesliga and maybe the bottom teams of the
        Regionalliga Süd.

        I'll check all these out, and ask our German staff. Please feel free
        to e-mail them direct at de@... at any time with any
        questions. I also find the users of the newsgroup
        de.rec.sport.eishockey intelligent, sensible and helpful. Most speak
        English fairly well, I would apologise in the first line for not
        speaking German: "Entschuldigung, ich spreche kein Deutsch."

        I hope to have a German league guide ready for the 2002-03 season in
        our Leagues section.

        mike
        @...