Re: [hockhist] Seals book (was Bill Masterton Digest Number 1917--Rick Hampton)

  • ikurtzberg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2002
      Craig:

      No, I didn't really ask him about that. My focus was mostly (although not
      exclusively) on his experience with the Seals although I did briefly ask him
      about coaching, but not in that context. He was a gentleman and very easy to
      talk to, a real class act. He certainly will be missed in the hockey world.

      Brad
    • Craig
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2002
        Brad,

        Gentleman is the best word for Billy Harris. I have always admired the fact that when Team Canada 1974 went into free fall in the summit due to the Soviets great play, horrific biased officiating, horrible accommodations, etc, Harris never lost his cool. He was always composed, articulate and quite frankly he is one of my role models.

        From: ikurtzberg@... <ikurtzberg@...>
        To: hockhist@yahoogroups.com <hockhist@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: April 1, 2002 3:47 PM
        Subject: Re: [hockhist] Seals book (was Bill Masterton Digest Number 1917--Rick Hampton)

        Craig:

        No, I didn't really ask him about that. My focus was mostly (although not
        exclusively) on his experience with the Seals although I did briefly ask him
        about coaching, but not in that context. He was a gentleman and very easy to
        talk to, a real class act. He certainly will be missed in the hockey world.

        Brad

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Craig
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2002
          Well that would certainly do it to any team. Any thoughts though on why they didn't bounce back in 1971-72?

          From: ikurtzberg@... <ikurtzberg@...>
          To: hockhist@yahoogroups.com <hockhist@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: April 1, 2002 3:45 PM

          A lot of it would be man games lost to injury. Carol Vadnais, Norm Ferguson,
          Harry Howell, Gary Jarrett, Earl INgarfield, Bert Marshall and Mike Laughton
          all missed significant time to injury. Add to that the new ownership of
          Charlie Finley and the fact that Frank Selke, Jr. and Bill Torrey were both
          let go by Finely during the year and there's your free fall.

          Brad

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Craig
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2002
            Brad,

            Meant to ask you this. How good a player was Harry Howell by this time? And what impact did Charlie Finlay have on the team?

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2002
              Finley was quite a card!

              An interesting guy for you to talk to would be Chcuk Catto who was at one
              time the head scout of the Seals. He came over form the Bruins and later
              would be GM of the Blues and work in the WHA. He could tell you a lot about
              the early days of the Seals and the details of their building.

              From: ikurtzberg@... <ikurtzberg@...>
              To: hockhist@yahoogroups.com <hockhist@yahoogroups.com>
              Date: April 1, 2002 3:45 PM
              1917--Rick Hampton)

              A lot of it would be man games lost to injury. Carol Vadnais, Norm
              Ferguson,
              Harry Howell, Gary Jarrett, Earl INgarfield, Bert Marshall and Mike Laughton
              all missed significant time to injury. Add to that the new ownership of
              Charlie Finley and the fact that Frank Selke, Jr. and Bill Torrey were both
              let go by Finely during the year and there's your free fall.

              Brad

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

              hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

            • David Stewart-Candy
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 1, 2002
                > What do you attribute their "fall" from what had
                > been a solid playoff team in 1969-70 to a disaster
                > in 1970-71 to?

                Charlie O Finley and the white skates...

                D!

                =====
                David Stewart-Candy

                International Ice Hockey Almanac
                Canadian Lacrosse Almanac
                East Vancouver, British Columbia

              • Hockey7525@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 1, 2002
                  You know, it's interesting about those white skates. As much as they
                  despised them, several former players STILL have them! Ernie Hicke still has
                  his white skates and his green and gold skates (which were almost as
                  atrocious). Hicke told me that the trainers hated the white skates.
                  Evidently, if the white skates got scuffed during the course of a game (which
                  was inevitable) and the trainers didn't take care of it immediately they
                  heard about it from Finley. Finley was notorious for wanting his hockey and
                  baseball players to be impeccably dressed.

                  Ernie Hicke also felt that the Seals had a nucleus of good players and felt
                  that they were definitely on the way up but Finley's legendary
                  tight-fistedness during contract negotiations (hockey AND baseball) as well
                  as the advent of the WHA pretty much did them in.

                  As an eternal Seals fan I, too, am REALLY looking forward to your book,
                  Brad!! And the website, as well!

                  Mark