Ric Seiling

  • Joe Pelletier
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2002
      In my previous post (see: Infamous Trades) I posted a link about
      transactions that "broke our hearts." One of Buffalo's was drafting Ric
      Seiling one pick before Mike Bossy. The article goes on to say that while
      Seiling was a good and serviceable player for a decade in Buffalo, he was
      never forgiven for not being Mike Bossy. Is this really true? I mean yes he
      was selected right before Bossy but without actually looking at the draft to
      see who the top 13 picks were its a pretty safe bet most of the players
      drafted prior to 15 could never be forgiven. Is it true that this cloud
      always shadowed Seiling's career?

      Joe Pelletier
      http://www.1972summitseries.com

    • David Stewart-Candy
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 1:08 AM
        > Is it
        > true that this cloud
        > always shadowed Seiling's career?

        The same argument could be made for Chuck Arneson not
        having as much impact as Larry Robinson! From what I
        can remember of Bossy's rookie season, his "low" draft
        selectionw as seen as luck on NYI's part.

        Drafting players is one-part guesswork with a good
        dose of luck.

        D!

        =====
        David Stewart-Candy

        International Ice Hockey Almanac
        Canadian Lacrosse Almanac
        East Vancouver, British Columbia

      • Craig
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 4:08 AM
          Joe,

          Speaking from the Toronto area I can't really comment on Seiling but I will
          say the Maple Leafs were always mocked for the fact that they had 2 number
          one picks in 1977. They passed on Mike Bossy twice to select John Anderson
          and Trevor Johansen. Anderson was in my mind a fine player for a number of
          years, (although never the elite player Bossy was) while Johansen was traded
          to Colorado in the Lanny McDonald deal two years later.

          I believe the Leafs were scared off Bossy as in junior hockey he was seen as
          a very weak defensive player. The Islanders looked at Bossy and figured they
          could teach him how to play defense. They knew they could never teach the
          offensive skills that he displayed.

          From: Joe Pelletier <iamjoepelletier@...>
          To: hockhist@yahoogroups.com <hockhist@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: March 31, 2002 10:57 PM
          Subject: [hockhist] Ric Seiling

        • mvigne@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1 7:23 AM
            In Montreal, it was worst, since Bossy was from here. The Canadien selected
            Mark Napier in front of him, and he went to the WHA before coming to
            Montreal. That was a bad draft in the mind of Montreal fans, like
            Wickenheiser in front of Denis Savard.

            Michel Vigneault

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1 9:39 AM
              Actually the Isles had to be sold a bit too! Roy Bowe always told rthe story
              of Jimmy Devallano pleading with him to take Bossy! Often it takes that one
              scout to really fight for a player! The Flyers Western Canada scout did it
              for Bob Clarke. Detroit's Jim Skinner did to but to no avail with Sid Abel.
              Darwin Bennett was like a Pit Bull with a bone about Sakic on our staff in
              Quebec. He just kept on pushing guys to look at him and forget the size
              thing. These guys are the unsung heroes that Cups are made from!

              From: Joe Pelletier <iamjoepelletier@...>
              To: hockhist@yahoogroups.com <hockhist@yahoogroups.com>
              Date: March 31, 2002 10:57 PM

              hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com