Re: [hockhist] Innovative goaltenders

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 52 , Mar 1, 2002
      I was sure it was Tony Esposito who did that.

      From: David Stewart-Candy <icehockeyalmanac@...>
      To: hockhist@yahoogroups.com <hockhist@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: March 1, 2002 6:27 PM
      Subject: Re: [hockhist] Innovative goaltenders

      > Patrick Roy - popularized the now-ubiquitous
      > butterfly style

      HUH!?!?! I thought it was either Terry Sawchuck or
      Glenn Hall...

      D!

      =====
      David Stewart-Candy

      International Ice Hockey Almanac
      Canadian Lacrosse Almanac
      East Vancouver, British Columbia

      Just say "NO! to the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • DAVE SOUTTER
      Message 52 of 52 , Mar 8, 2002
        > IIRC it made more sense for the Golden Eagles' goalies to wear #0
        > instead of #1. The GE's had a radically different (for back then)
        uniform--they had
        > vertical stripes running from the collar down to the cuff of the wrist.
        No horizontal striping on the sleeve.> I remember seeing a game action
        picture in the Vancouver Sun of Merlin
        > Jenner after the GE's played in Vancouver.

        Good ol' Merlin Jenner. He nickname was... that's right, you guessed it--
        "The Magician". Only he wasn't all that magic in goal for Salt Lake. He did
        make 63 saves one night as the Golden Eagles lost to Phoenix 3-1, however.
        That hapened in the Golden Eagles' first season and no goalie in 25 years
        ever broke that record, so that is MJ's claim to fame!

        I remember looking through some files in the Eagles' front office when I
        worked for them and on Jenner's player bio (each guy filled out his own) and
        under the heading "other occupation" he put "farmer". Ah, the good old days
        of minor league hockey!

        Actually, Salt Lake goalies also wore #1 in those early days. They didn't
        use a #30 until the second season, but a couple of guys wore #25, besides 0
        and 1. #0 was usually relegated to the backups. But you're right, Ron. The
        Eagles' sweater design was quite unusual and actually very innovative. I
        always liked them a lot!

        --Dave Soutter ( who was a big fan of Russ Gillow, Ernie Hicke, Bobby
        Schmautz, Guyle Fielder, Moose Vasko and Danny Schock in those early days!)