1928-29 pittsburgh pirates colors

  • Tim M Holly Brulia
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4 1:28 PM
      hi out there,
      this is my first posting on this site, and i'm
      wondering if anybody out there can help me. i think i
      have a pretty good idea on the color schemes of all
      nhl teams, except for the 1928-29 pittsburgh pirates.
      i have seen photos of this team; including the team
      photos and a few individual pix, and while i know the
      earlier pirates were black and gold, and the 1929-30
      edition wore black and orange, there is no way the
      28-29 edition could have had black as one of the
      colors. i know how dark red and green show up in the
      20's (and earlier)black and white photography, let
      alone black, and the 28-29 pirates uniforms have
      nothing close to that. i would guess that they may be
      blue and gold, but that's a guess. if anyone out there
      would have a clue, please let me know. thanks kindly!!

      sincerely,
      tim
      (coolbrul@...)

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • James Milks
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4 1:49 PM
        Hi all,
        Someone has asked me for the game scores for the 1930-31 Philadelphia
        Quakers. If complete scores/opponents are not available, can someone at
        least say who the 4th tie was against?
        He has 3 of the 4 as follows:

        - Ottawa
        - Boston
        - Canadiens
        - ?

        James
      • James Milks
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4 1:50 PM
          Hi,
          Sorry I don't have the answer you are looking for, but am wondering if you
          have seen any of the Pirates uniforms? Does the HHOF have any jerseys? I
          would love to see one, or better yet, get a photo of one.

          James

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4 9:17 PM
            james,
            thanks for your reply. there are photos online of
            the pirates and tons more at www.hockeyonline.com
            i think you can buy some photos from them, but have
            no idea as to the cost.
            i don't know what the hhof has regarding the
            pirates, sorry to say.
            take care.

            tim

            --- James Milks <jamesm@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            > Sorry I don't have the answer you are looking for,
            > but am wondering if you
            > have seen any of the Pirates uniforms? Does the HHOF
            > have any jerseys? I
            > would love to see one, or better yet, get a photo of
            > one.
            >
            > James

            Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
            http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
          • Stu McMurray
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4 9:34 PM
              Hi James,

              Below is what Coleman published in Trail 2. As you can see, the GF and
              GA don't equal Philadelphia's numbers in the 1930-31 League Standings
              as per the 2002 NHL Guide and Record Book.

              I haven't had a chance to proof th 1930-31 season but here it is, for
              what it's worth. Hope it helps a bit.

              Stu

              1930-31 PHILADELPHIA QUAKERS RESULTS

              HOME GAMES
              11/11/30 Rangers 3 at Philadelphia 0
              11/18/30 Ottawa 2 at Philadelphia 2 ot
              11/25/30 Toronto 1 at Philadelphia 2
              11/29/30 Rangers 6 at Philadelphia 3
              12/02/30 Canadiens 2 at Philadelphia 0
              12/06/30 Boston 4 at Philadelphia 3
              12/09/30 Americans 2 at Philadelphia 1
              12/13/30 Detroit 3 at Philadelphia 2
              12/23/30 Chicago 3 at Philadelphia 2
              01/03/31 Ottawa 5 at Philadelphia 4 ot
              01/08/31 Chicago 4 at Philadelphia 0
              01/10/31 Montreal 3 at Philadelphia 4 ot
              01/13/31 Canadiens 2 at Philadelphia 1
              01/17/31 Detroit 5 at Philadelphia 2
              01/24/31 Boston 4 at Philadelphia 2
              02/10/31 Rangers 3 at Philadelphia 1
              02/14/31 Americans 1 at Philadelphia 1 ot
              02/24/31 Boston 5 at Philadelphia 1
              03/03/31 Toronto 5 at Philadelphia 1
              03/12/31 Detroit 5 at Philadelphia 7
              03/14/31 Montreal 3 at Philadelphia 2
              03/17/31 Chicago 4 at Philadelphia 0

              AWAY GAMES
              11/15/30 Philadelphia 0 at Toronto 4
              11/16/30 Philadelphia 1 at Detroit 5
              11/23/30 Philadelphia 2 at Rangers 5
              12/04/30 Philadelphia 2 at Ottawa 5
              12/16/30 Philadelphia 0 at Americans 3
              12/20/30 Philadelphia 1 at Montreal 5
              12/25/30 Philadelphia 0 at Boston 9
              12/28/30 Philadelphia 2 at Rangers 4
              01/01/31 Philadelphia 3 at Chicago 10
              01/04/31 Philadelphia 0 at Americans 5
              01/20/31 Philadelphia 2 at Detroit 5
              01/22/31 Philadelphia 2 at Chicago 5
              01/27/31 Philadelphia 3 at Boston 3 ot
              01/29/31 Philadelphia 1 at Canadiens 7
              01/31/31 Philadelphia 2 at Toronto 3
              02/05/31 Philadelphia 1 at Chicago 6
              02/17/31 Philadelphia 2 at Detroit 0
              02/22/31 Philadelphia 3 at Rangers 6
              02/28/31 Philadelphia 1 at Montreal 4
              03/07/31 Philadelphia 2 at Boston 7
              03/10/31 Philadelphia 3 at Ottawa 5 ot
              03/21/31 Philadelphia 4 at Canadiens 4 ot

              Philadelphia
              Goal For / Goals Against
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5 5:40 AM
                Hello again Tim,
                I am aware of hockeyonline.com, which by the way sells 8x10 prints for $10
                each. A lot better than the $48 the HHOF charged me for an 8x10 that they
                didn't even know they had until I brought it to their attention and later
                became available at hockeyonline.com for $10...hmmmm.

                Anyway, not to beat this to death, but I am wondering just how you deduced
                the colour schemes of the Pirates uniforms? Simply from analyzing the B/W
                photos? Printed material? Or have you actually seen some jerseys. I guess
                that is what I am wondering,: Did any jerseys survive? Do you have any
                *colour* photos of a jersey?

                James
              • nieforth
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 8 7:22 PM
                  Thought I'd add a bit more detail to this dry list of scores.

                  Wilfred R. Cude had been scouted by Fred Frederickson, manager of the
                  Pittsburgh Pirates, while playing in an Allan Cup showdown for the
                  Melville Millionaires. Cude signed a professional contract after the
                  series ended.

                  Unfortunately, conditions changed between his signing and reporting.
                  For one, the team relocated to Philadelphia. Second, Frederickson
                  was out and Cooper Smeaton in as coach. And finally, there were two
                  other cagers in camp ahead of Cude when he arrived.

                  > 1930-31 PHILADELPHIA QUAKERS RESULTS
                  >
                  > AWAY GAMES
                  > 12/16/30 Philadelphia 0 at Americans 3
                  Wilfred Cude's first game with the Quakers. He got the start when
                  Miller took sick. Cude's performance impressed manager Cooper
                  Smeaton enough that he stuck with him through the rest of the season.

                  > 02/17/31 Philadelphia 2 at Detroit 0
                  The highlight of the season for Cude. Not only was it his first
                  professional shutout, but it eliminated Detroit from the playoffs.

                  > 03/21/31 Philadelphia 4 at Canadiens 4 ot
                  Probably Cude's best performance of the season. He almost stole the
                  win except that Montreal scored on a goalmouth scramble at the end of
                  the third period.

                  Cude became the league backup goaltender the following season. The
                  outlaw AHA was trying to lure him away from the NHL but "fatherly"
                  Frank Calder stepped in. Calder gave one sentence of advice on
                  dealing with AHA President Grant. "Make sure you get your money."
                  It was a definite reminder about gossip concerning unpaid AHA wages.

                  Cude signed shortly thereafter.

                  Joseph