Re: [hockhist] 68-69 Blues

  • Jason Kasiorek
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 2, 2002

      30 G Jacques Plante
      30 G Gary Edwards
      30 G Ted Ouimet

      Hope this helps,

      Jason Kasiorek
      WHA Oilers Site
      http://members.hockeyresearch.com/jkasiorek/

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 2, 2002
        on 1/2/02 9:02 AM, Jason Kasiorek at sjmis@... wrote:

        > 1968-69 St Louis Blues
        >
        > 1 G Glenn Hall
        > 1 G Robbie Irons
        > 2 D Doug Harvey
        ... etc

        Boy, ya gotta love a roster like that. Not a single 57, 61 or 93 in the
        bunch!

        --
        Lloyd Davis
        Lloyd Davis Publishing Services
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 2, 2002
          Yes he was as was Wendell Clark a d-man at one time.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 2, 2002
            It's tough to find a guy that can switch back form being a life itme forward
            to defence. This isn't all that true vice versa. After all, a bad forward
            can only hurt you so badly a bad D can KILL YOU!

            Since I have been in the minors where we have a smaller playing roster, I
            have always tried to find guys that play both compfoirtably. It is TOUGH!

            I can remember two stoires howvere that are kind of apporpirate. The first
            has to do with Jeff Lazaro. Now we had all watched Lazaro play as a smallish
            defenceman in college for 4 years. None of us had any real interest at the
            NHL level due to size. He had so few options that he went to a free agent
            camp ran by Joe Lyons of the Bruins. Joe was always a creative thinker and
            moved him up front. He was a decent skater and had ok hands so...At the
            begining of camp we were begging our parent clubs (Jersey oir Boston) to
            tkae him to camp for us in Johnstown. By the end of the camp he was getting
            more notice than that...As history shows, he never got to the Cheifs and in
            fact was a Bruin by the end of the season!

            Another had to do with Vladimir Tsyplakov. When he had just came over and we
            had him at the Falcon camp we were short on D for the first couple of days.
            So in drills and scrimmage we had Vlady play D. He looked like Niklas
            Lidstrom against this level of competition. Now, I know that European kids
            are shifted around more so I asked him through a translator if ever played D
            before. He said "no". I guess it was more a statement of what real NHL level
            talent can do against the likes of unreinforced AA talent than anything
            else! The kid never played D in his life but looked better than some veteran
            ECHL defenders that we already had in camp!

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 2, 2002
              Thanks!

            • mtlhockey@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 2, 2002
                In a message dated 1/1/02 5:10:07 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
                MOREY_H@... writes:

                << Does Marty McSorley count? He was a goon at RW and a goon at D. And
                if I'm not mistaken, didn't Derek Morris play some C in Calgary his
                rookie season?

                Yes McSorley should count and Morris has played up front on occasion for the
                Flames. Also Jean Luc Grandpierre from Columbus started on D and is now at
                forward. I know there are a few other examples as well.

                I think at some point a goalie has taken a few shifts at forward too in the
                NHL if memory serves me.

                Brian
              • mtlhockey@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 2, 2002
                  Oh I cant forget my buddy Ken Baumgartner who played both D and Forward.

                  Brian
                • Rockstar
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 2, 2002
                    Brain wrote:

                    > I think at some point a goalie has taken a few shifts at forward too in
                    the
                    > NHL if memory serves me.

                    I don't think Ron Hextall ever took a shift with the Flyers, but I seem to
                    recall many of the Flyers players say in an interview that Hextall had the
                    best shot on the team.

                    Keith Lenn
                    Keith@...
                    Read "The Hockey Collector" at http://sportznutz.com/nhl/hockey_collector
                    www.HockeySandwich.com
                    www.HockeyAutos.net
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 2, 2002
                      But in this case, Gary Suitcase Smith would *not* count. <LOL>

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 3, 2002
                        Darcy Wakaluk a former NHL Goalie played some stints at forward in the AHL
                        while serving as the backup goalie. If I remember correctly he even scored a
                        goal.