Chris McSorley

  • Tony Allen
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 1999
      Somebody was asking a while back about a coach named McSorley. I
      don't have his full coaching record, but his first name is Chris
      (brother of Marty) and he was recently appointed head coach for
      1999/2000 of the London Knights of the British Ice Hockey Superleague
      (ISL). Looking at his minor league playing record (with a "personal
      best" of 545 PIM in one season), most fans here are anticipating he
      will put together a pretty aggressive club, a direct contrast with last
      season when Knights were reckoned something of a "soft touch" by the
      other seven ISL teams. Watch this space !!

    • Frank TEX Liebmann
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 1999

        Tony,

        You're one step ahead of me. I gathered some stuff I had from an old Vegas program and a Salt
        Lake Trib article.

        Folks here in Salt Lake (and probably Long Beach too) despise McSorley. All he did for Vegas was
        to goon the team up. Although this put fans in the stands for a while, the team ended up becoming
        steadily worse and worse until he quit. Hell, I can remember one night when he sent one of his
        goons out to get our goalie.

        One thing that nobody mentioned was that he headed up an exploratory committee for putting an IHL
        team in Victoria, BC. Victoria didn't build and the SF Spiders died.

        > Somebody was asking a while back about a coach named McSorley. I
        > don't have his full coaching record,

        His full coaching record, from a Las Vegas Thunder program, and what I got on my own.

        SEASON TEAM LEA W L SOL

        89-90 Winston Salem ECHL 38 16 6

        90-91 Richmond ECHL 29 29 6

        91-92 Toledo ECHL 46 15 3

        92-93 Toledo ECHL 37 17 11

        1993 Anaheim RHI 18 0 2

        93-94 Toledo ECHL 40 20 4

        1994 Buffalo RHI 18 3 3

        95-96 Las Vegas IHL 57 17 8

        96-97 Las Vegas IHL 41 34 7

        97-98 Las Vegas IHL 27 30 6

        The rest of Vegas' games for that season can be attributed to Clint Malarchuck.

        Part of an article from the March 7, 1998 Salt Lake Tribune

        Chris McSorley resigned as coach of the Las Vegas Thunder after leading
        the team to a 27-30-6 record. ``As a coach, I'm sympathetic,'' said Goring. ``Chris did a good
        job in some situations. Others he didn't handle too well. There were a lot of muggings over the
        years.'' Goring says he will miss the rivalry of coaching against McSorley which at times got
        rather nasty. During the 1995-96 Western Conference finals, McSorley accused Goring of
        sending Grizzlies after some of the Thunder star players. It was meant to put some fire in the
        Vegas players. The Thunder coach challenged Goring to a one-on-one event of their own.
        Goring laughed it off, saying, ``If he wants to go he'll have to come to me. I'm too short to get

        over the glass between us.'' Las Vegas is eighth in the Western Conference. Clint Marlarchuk,
        who had been the assistant coach, will take over the team.

        An feature from a 1997-98 Thunder program:

        CHRIS MCSORLEY HEAD COACH

        Chris McSorley enters his third season as head coach of the Las Thunder it will be his fourth
        season with the organization.

        McSorley was associate coach to Head Coach/General Manager Strumm during the 1994-95 season.
        After one season as Strumm's assoc McSorley was elevated to the top job for the 1995-96 season.
        That season McSorley guided the Thunder to the third best record in league history, 57-17-8 122
        points, winning the Huber Trophy.

        Before joining the Thunder McSorley put together quite an impressive run as a head coach in the
        East Coast Hockey League. McSorley is the all-time winningest coach in league history compiling a
        phenomenal ECHL record of a 196-97-30 in those five seasons. McSorley's teams never missed the
        playoffs and finished first in the regular season four times. His Toledo Storm squad won the ECHL
        Championship, the Riley Cup, in both 1993-94 and 94-95.

        In McSorley's three years with Toledo, the Storm put together a record of 127-61-18 (a .617
        winning percentage).

        Prior to joining the Storm, McSorley made his first venture into coaching in 1989-90 at the helm
        a the Winston-Salem T-Birds and the following year he led the Richmond Renegades.

        McSorley also gained notoriety as a head coach of Roller Hockey International's Anaheim Bullfrogs
        and Buffalo Stampede. While with Anaheim in the summer of 1993, the Bullfrogs captured the RHI
        Championship, finishing the season undefeated. McSorley backed up the feat with a repeat RHI
        Championship in 1994, this time with Buffalo.

        As a player McSorley was named the International Hockey League's Most Improved Player for his
        effort in 1995-96 with the Toledo Goldiggers. In fact, McSorley last played as a member of the
        Thunder during the 1994-95 season. He played in two games and amassed 20 penalty minutes.

        In his five-year pro career McSorley played with Kalamazoo, Toledo, New Haven, Muskegon, Flint,
        Indianapolis and Springfield. As a player he participated in the IHL Turner Cup Championships.

        The first was in 1987 with Muskegon with the second coming in 1988 with Flint. His career best
        scoring season came in his very first year 1985-86, with Toledo. In 72 games, McSorley compiled
        27 goals and 28 assists while also amassing 546 minutes in penalties. For his career McSorley
        logged a whopping 1,857 penalty minutes in just 288 games.

        McSorley will serve as the commissioner of the newly formed Pro Beach Hockey which will be
        featured on ESPN this summer. A 1982 graduate of Mohawk College in Hamilton, Ontario with a
        degree in computer sciences, McSorley has been the subject of articles featured in Sports
        Illustrated and The Hockey News.

        Frank
      • RSulli7798@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 22, 2000
          Bobby Clarke gave Chris a pro hockey shot. Chris went to a meeting that
          Bobby was at. Bobby asked him what team he played for, Chris said
          "Steelco"(Hamilton,Ontario steel mill). Bobby referred him to Toledo.

          Ray