Re: [hockhist] Arena atmosphere

  • bearcats
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 1, 2001
      Actually, it is also 12 minutes in Canada. The US standard is much longer -
      maybe even 14. Also in Canada, PSA and ads promoting another TV program are
      also considered Ad time. The CRTC did recently allow for extra time to
      cover, non-paying advertising ie promos, but I'm not sure how long that it.

      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 1, 2001
        The CRTC, Canada's broadcast regulator, does limit advertising to 12 minutes
        per hour. However, if a Canadian network is carrying a program that
        originates in the U.S., it is allowed to fill any "non-programming" time
        beyond the 12 minutes with promotional spots for Canadian television shows
        and films.

        That staunch defender of Canadian culture, CanWest Global, keeps lobbying
        for more advertising time, but the CRTC has resisted.

        I've come across reports that, on U.S. television, advertising and promos
        account for an average of nearly 21 minutes per hour, while in prime time
        the average is about 16 and a half minutes. The WB and UPN networks actually
        hit about 18 minutes of "non-programming" time per hour.

        I think David's numbers are accurate for the early 80s. I can say for sure
        there was a two-minute gap between Canadian and American standards; that's
        why the Bob and Doug McKenzie characters on SCTV were created. The Canadian
        Broadcasting Corp. wanted something to fill the extra two minutes, and oh,
        by the way, could it be Canadian content?

        --
        Lloyd Davis
        Lloyd Davis Publishing Services
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 1, 2001
          I temd to agree. Also the new arenas seem to be so big that there isn;t that
          close, noisy energy. I notice it evrytime I go to both the First Union
          Center and the old Spectrum in a short space of days. In the Spectrum you
          can almost feel the place rock--even for a Phantom game with 8 or 9000
          people! At the Core states, it feels like you are watching from a
          helicopter! Just not the same! Another sacrifice at the alter of greed I
          guess!

          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 1, 2001
            Haven't been to Air Canada Centre for a hockey game
            yet, but I've managed to attend Raptor games at both
            the ACC and Maple Leaf Gardens, which was used a
            couple of times when SkyDome wasn't available. ACC
            is livelier, and I think the reason is it has a flat roof
            rather than that enormous dome ceiling that MLG
            featured.

            It may help that ACC's footprint isn't quite as big as
            many of the new arenas (though larger than it would
            have been under the original basketball-only plans).

            I actually managed to snag a couple of Leaf tickets
            (through legitimate channels!) and so will be interested
            to see how ACC compares. I have to say there's
            nothing worse than the sight of all those empty
            platinum seats at the beginning of each period.

            > From: "William Underwood"
            > I temd to agree. Also the new arenas seem to be so
            big that there isn;t that
            > close, noisy energy. I notice it evrytime I go to both the
            First Union
            > Center and the old Spectrum in a short space of days.
            In the Spectrum you
            > can almost feel the place rock--even for a Phantom
            game with 8 or 9000
            > people! At the Core states, it feels like you are
            watching from a
            > helicopter! Just not the same! Another sacrifice at the
            alter of greed I
            > guess!

            Lloyd Davis Publishing Services
            201-488 Danforth Avenue
            Toronto, ON M4K 1P6
            416-465-6999 (tel.) /// 416-462-0326 (fax)
            loydavis@...
          • Jill
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 1, 2001
              >===== Original Message From "bearcats" <ratz@...> =====
              >Actually, it is also 12 minutes in Canada. The US standard is much longer -
              >maybe even 14. Also in Canada, PSA and ads promoting another TV program are
              >also considered Ad time. The CRTC did recently allow for extra time to
              >cover, non-paying advertising ie promos, but I'm not sure how long that it.

              I was a fan of the tv show 'Highlander' for quite a while in the 90s. It aired
              in syndication, where they cram in as many commercials as possible. The US
              version of the show ran 44 minutes, (16 minutes of ads/hr) while the
              Canadian/international version ran 48 minutes. (so 12 minutes of ads/hr)

              And since the show filmed a lot in Vancouver, I was a bit disappointed they
              never managed to slip in a hockey episode like a number of other filmed in
              Canada shows (Due South, Kung Fu:the Legend Continues) did.

              Jill
              selkie@...

              "The people who did this are no more 'Islamic' than the Ku Klux Klan are 'Christian."- Alan Amen talking about the events of 9/11/2001
            • Net Collectibles
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 1, 2001
                I was wondering if anyone knows who wore #1 for the Quebec Remparts during
                1998-99 and 1999-00? Thanks!
              • Martin Poitras
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 2, 2001
                  1998-99 Martin Bilodeau (GP : 10)
                  Jonathan Wilhelmy (GP = 8)

                  1999-00 Jonathan Charron (GP = 10)

                  Martin

                  Martin Poitras
                  Level Programmer
                  Artificial Mind & Movement ( http://www.a2m.com )

                  T : 514.843.4484 ext. 592

                  home page : http://www.goaliesarchive.com

                  I was wondering if anyone knows who wore #1 for the Quebec Remparts during
                  1998-99 and 1999-00? Thanks!

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Net Collectibles
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 2, 2001
                    Thanks!

                    At 05:58 AM 02/10/01, you wrote:
                    >1998-99 Martin Bilodeau (GP : 10)
                    > Jonathan Wilhelmy (GP = 8)
                    >
                    >1999-00 Jonathan Charron (GP = 10)
                    >
                    >Martin

                    >Martin Poitras
                    >Level Programmer
                    >Artificial Mind & Movement ( http://www.a2m.com )
                    >
                    >T : 514.843.4484 ext. 592
                    >
                    > home page : http://www.goaliesarchive.com

                  • Morey Holzman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 2, 2001
                      The LA Forum used to be loud, and Staples is not much quieter.
                      Staples Ctr is larger than the Pond, but I've never heard the Pond
                      louder (and I went to a few playoff games there) than I heard at
                      Staples during the last five minutes of a mostly boring 4-4 tie with
                      Tampa Bay.

                      I think the main problem is that the NHL has taken the hate out of
                      hockey. Give me Montreal-Boston 20 times a season instead of
                      Montreal-Nashville, Montreal-Carolina, Montral-Anaheim, MOntreal-St.
                      Louis, Montreal-Minnesota, Montreal-Florida, Montral-Columbus,
                      Montreal-Edmonton, Montreal-Chicago, Montreal-Tampa Bay, Montreal-
                      Atlanta, Montreal-Buffalo, Montreal-Phoenix or Montreal-Dallas.

                      I mean, who wants to watch the Islanders play unless its against the
                      Rangers, and I actually think the Isle has an outside shot at the
                      playoffs this year.

                      Bring back a schedule and a league structure where most of the
                      regular season means something, and where fans can love their team
                      and hate four others (and actually know the players on those teams),
                      and I think you will find the new building will be as loud as the old
                      ones (except for Chicago).

                      Morey

                      --- In hockhist@y..., "William Underwood" <wausport@b...> wrote:
                      > I temd to agree. Also the new arenas seem to be so big that there
                      isn;t that
                      > close, noisy energy. I notice it evrytime I go to both the First
                      Union
                      > Center and the old Spectrum in a short space of days. In the
                      Spectrum you
                      > can almost feel the place rock--even for a Phantom game with 8 or
                      9000
                      > people! At the Core states, it feels like you are watching from a
                      > helicopter! Just not the same! Another sacrifice at the alter of
                      greed I
                      > guess!
                    • David Stewart-Candy
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 2, 2001
                        Ah yes, how I long for the days of those Smythe
                        divisional battles of Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton,
                        Winnipeg and LA.

                        D!

                        =====

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 2, 2001
                          Couldn't agree more. The league is too anticeptic! 30 teams just is too
                          much! It means that you don't even see some of the better teams inthe other
                          conference come to town in a given year (two year cycle) and rivalries have
                          been all but squashed! Back in the 80's when you'd play a team 8 times THEN
                          have intra divisional play offs, you had some REAL rivalry! Like the one
                          between us and Montreal, when I worked for Quebec!
                          8 times averages out to seeing a team obver once a month. Today, the best
                          you get is 5 times which means as little as two times in your building or
                          HALF of what you had in the 80's! It was almost like having4 little 6 team
                          leagues, each with it's own flavor and wars. And even worse yet they have
                          this conference playoff system. Who the HELL gets all that pumped about
                          Philadelphia-Carolina or the Rangers and Ottawa meeting! Compare that to the
                          Flyers versus the Devils or Rnagers being an almost given!

                          It is just aniother case of a bunch of guys who don't give beans about
                          hockey nor truly understanding what makes the product tick because of an
                          UTTER dilocation from the average fan and reality selling the game up the
                          river! Is it any wonder why more and more hockey fans are more interested in
                          what Masterpiece theater or the Shopping Netwrok have on than ESPN?

                          =====