Re: [hockhist] Arena atmosphere

  • David Stewart-Candy
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 30, 2001
      I heard somewhere that in the US, 12 minutes of every
      1 hour on TV are slated for commercials. In Canada
      this is 10 minutes per hour.

      D!

      --- RSulli7798@... wrote:
      > I watch the games on TV and the commercials are too
      > long. For a sport that
      > has complained about TV money, there are a lot of
      > commercials.
      >
      > It does not take me 2 minutes to fix my snack or do
      > other things.
      >
      > Could the commercial breaks be limited to 30 seconds
      > or do the sponsors like
      > MLS does, put the logo under the clock/score and
      > eliminate the commercial
      > breaks until intermissions.
      >

      > Ray Sullivan

      =====
      David Stewart-Candy

      International Ice Hockey Almanac
      Canadian Lacrosse Almanac

      East Vancouver, British Columbia

    • bearcats
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 1, 2001
        Actually, it is also 12 minutes in Canada. The US standard is much longer -
        maybe even 14. Also in Canada, PSA and ads promoting another TV program are
        also considered Ad time. The CRTC did recently allow for extra time to
        cover, non-paying advertising ie promos, but I'm not sure how long that it.

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 1, 2001
          The CRTC, Canada's broadcast regulator, does limit advertising to 12 minutes
          per hour. However, if a Canadian network is carrying a program that
          originates in the U.S., it is allowed to fill any "non-programming" time
          beyond the 12 minutes with promotional spots for Canadian television shows
          and films.

          That staunch defender of Canadian culture, CanWest Global, keeps lobbying
          for more advertising time, but the CRTC has resisted.

          I've come across reports that, on U.S. television, advertising and promos
          account for an average of nearly 21 minutes per hour, while in prime time
          the average is about 16 and a half minutes. The WB and UPN networks actually
          hit about 18 minutes of "non-programming" time per hour.

          I think David's numbers are accurate for the early 80s. I can say for sure
          there was a two-minute gap between Canadian and American standards; that's
          why the Bob and Doug McKenzie characters on SCTV were created. The Canadian
          Broadcasting Corp. wanted something to fill the extra two minutes, and oh,
          by the way, could it be Canadian content?

          --
          Lloyd Davis
          Lloyd Davis Publishing Services
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 1, 2001
            I temd to agree. Also the new arenas seem to be so big that there isn;t that
            close, noisy energy. I notice it evrytime I go to both the First Union
            Center and the old Spectrum in a short space of days. In the Spectrum you
            can almost feel the place rock--even for a Phantom game with 8 or 9000
            people! At the Core states, it feels like you are watching from a
            helicopter! Just not the same! Another sacrifice at the alter of greed I
            guess!

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 1, 2001
              Haven't been to Air Canada Centre for a hockey game
              yet, but I've managed to attend Raptor games at both
              the ACC and Maple Leaf Gardens, which was used a
              couple of times when SkyDome wasn't available. ACC
              is livelier, and I think the reason is it has a flat roof
              rather than that enormous dome ceiling that MLG
              featured.

              It may help that ACC's footprint isn't quite as big as
              many of the new arenas (though larger than it would
              have been under the original basketball-only plans).

              I actually managed to snag a couple of Leaf tickets
              (through legitimate channels!) and so will be interested
              to see how ACC compares. I have to say there's
              nothing worse than the sight of all those empty
              platinum seats at the beginning of each period.

              > From: "William Underwood"
              > I temd to agree. Also the new arenas seem to be so
              big that there isn;t that
              > close, noisy energy. I notice it evrytime I go to both the
              First Union
              > Center and the old Spectrum in a short space of days.
              In the Spectrum you
              > can almost feel the place rock--even for a Phantom
              game with 8 or 9000
              > people! At the Core states, it feels like you are
              watching from a
              > helicopter! Just not the same! Another sacrifice at the
              alter of greed I
              > guess!

              Lloyd Davis Publishing Services
              201-488 Danforth Avenue
              Toronto, ON M4K 1P6
              416-465-6999 (tel.) /// 416-462-0326 (fax)
              loydavis@...
            • Jill
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 1, 2001
                >===== Original Message From "bearcats" <ratz@...> =====
                >Actually, it is also 12 minutes in Canada. The US standard is much longer -
                >maybe even 14. Also in Canada, PSA and ads promoting another TV program are
                >also considered Ad time. The CRTC did recently allow for extra time to
                >cover, non-paying advertising ie promos, but I'm not sure how long that it.

                I was a fan of the tv show 'Highlander' for quite a while in the 90s. It aired
                in syndication, where they cram in as many commercials as possible. The US
                version of the show ran 44 minutes, (16 minutes of ads/hr) while the
                Canadian/international version ran 48 minutes. (so 12 minutes of ads/hr)

                And since the show filmed a lot in Vancouver, I was a bit disappointed they
                never managed to slip in a hockey episode like a number of other filmed in
                Canada shows (Due South, Kung Fu:the Legend Continues) did.

                Jill
                selkie@...

                "The people who did this are no more 'Islamic' than the Ku Klux Klan are 'Christian."- Alan Amen talking about the events of 9/11/2001
              • Net Collectibles
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 1, 2001
                  I was wondering if anyone knows who wore #1 for the Quebec Remparts during
                  1998-99 and 1999-00? Thanks!
                • Martin Poitras
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 2, 2001
                    1998-99 Martin Bilodeau (GP : 10)
                    Jonathan Wilhelmy (GP = 8)

                    1999-00 Jonathan Charron (GP = 10)

                    Martin

                    Martin Poitras
                    Level Programmer
                    Artificial Mind & Movement ( http://www.a2m.com )

                    T : 514.843.4484 ext. 592

                    home page : http://www.goaliesarchive.com

                    I was wondering if anyone knows who wore #1 for the Quebec Remparts during
                    1998-99 and 1999-00? Thanks!

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Net Collectibles
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 2, 2001
                      Thanks!

                      At 05:58 AM 02/10/01, you wrote:
                      >1998-99 Martin Bilodeau (GP : 10)
                      > Jonathan Wilhelmy (GP = 8)
                      >
                      >1999-00 Jonathan Charron (GP = 10)
                      >
                      >Martin

                      >Martin Poitras
                      >Level Programmer
                      >Artificial Mind & Movement ( http://www.a2m.com )
                      >
                      >T : 514.843.4484 ext. 592
                      >
                      > home page : http://www.goaliesarchive.com

                    • Morey Holzman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 2, 2001
                        The LA Forum used to be loud, and Staples is not much quieter.
                        Staples Ctr is larger than the Pond, but I've never heard the Pond
                        louder (and I went to a few playoff games there) than I heard at
                        Staples during the last five minutes of a mostly boring 4-4 tie with
                        Tampa Bay.

                        I think the main problem is that the NHL has taken the hate out of
                        hockey. Give me Montreal-Boston 20 times a season instead of
                        Montreal-Nashville, Montreal-Carolina, Montral-Anaheim, MOntreal-St.
                        Louis, Montreal-Minnesota, Montreal-Florida, Montral-Columbus,
                        Montreal-Edmonton, Montreal-Chicago, Montreal-Tampa Bay, Montreal-
                        Atlanta, Montreal-Buffalo, Montreal-Phoenix or Montreal-Dallas.

                        I mean, who wants to watch the Islanders play unless its against the
                        Rangers, and I actually think the Isle has an outside shot at the
                        playoffs this year.

                        Bring back a schedule and a league structure where most of the
                        regular season means something, and where fans can love their team
                        and hate four others (and actually know the players on those teams),
                        and I think you will find the new building will be as loud as the old
                        ones (except for Chicago).

                        Morey

                        --- In hockhist@y..., "William Underwood" <wausport@b...> wrote:
                        > I temd to agree. Also the new arenas seem to be so big that there
                        isn;t that
                        > close, noisy energy. I notice it evrytime I go to both the First
                        Union
                        > Center and the old Spectrum in a short space of days. In the
                        Spectrum you
                        > can almost feel the place rock--even for a Phantom game with 8 or
                        9000
                        > people! At the Core states, it feels like you are watching from a
                        > helicopter! Just not the same! Another sacrifice at the alter of
                        greed I
                        > guess!
                      • David Stewart-Candy
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 2, 2001
                          Ah yes, how I long for the days of those Smythe
                          divisional battles of Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton,
                          Winnipeg and LA.

                          D!

                          =====

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 2, 2001
                            Couldn't agree more. The league is too anticeptic! 30 teams just is too
                            much! It means that you don't even see some of the better teams inthe other
                            conference come to town in a given year (two year cycle) and rivalries have
                            been all but squashed! Back in the 80's when you'd play a team 8 times THEN
                            have intra divisional play offs, you had some REAL rivalry! Like the one
                            between us and Montreal, when I worked for Quebec!
                            8 times averages out to seeing a team obver once a month. Today, the best
                            you get is 5 times which means as little as two times in your building or
                            HALF of what you had in the 80's! It was almost like having4 little 6 team
                            leagues, each with it's own flavor and wars. And even worse yet they have
                            this conference playoff system. Who the HELL gets all that pumped about
                            Philadelphia-Carolina or the Rangers and Ottawa meeting! Compare that to the
                            Flyers versus the Devils or Rnagers being an almost given!

                            It is just aniother case of a bunch of guys who don't give beans about
                            hockey nor truly understanding what makes the product tick because of an
                            UTTER dilocation from the average fan and reality selling the game up the
                            river! Is it any wonder why more and more hockey fans are more interested in
                            what Masterpiece theater or the Shopping Netwrok have on than ESPN?

                            =====