'40 & '50s Salaries

  • nieforth@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2001
      Just a bit more on salaries in the '40 & '50s.

      Joseph

      -----

      McNab recalls days of assembly-line deals
      USA Today
      Kevin Allen
      10-13-1994

      In Detroit in the 1940s, cars and NHL contracts were fashioned
      on an assembly line.
      "One day in training camp, everyone lined up, and they did the
      team in one day," said New Jersey Devils vice president Max McNab,
      a Red Wings player from 1947-50.
      It was an intimidating experience for younger players. Most
      feared general manager Jack Adams would send them to the minors if
      they made him mad.
      But McNab didn't feel oppressed with a salary of $6,500. "The
      average worker in that time was making $4,000, and Gordie Howe was
      only making $10,000. I felt pretty good making $6,500," McNab said.
      Adams paid players based on seniority. Minor-leaguers would get
      $4,500 - $5,000 if they were married.
      McNab recalls trying to get an additional $200 on his
      minor-league salary, because he had scored 40 goals in 44 games for
      Omaha the previous season.
      Said McNab: "He told me: `Yeah, Max, you are absolutely right,
      and if I have any money left over in the budget, you will be the
      first one I call in.' "
    • mtlhockey@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2001
        Speaking of the old salaries, there is a great CBC miniseries on the subject.
        Who here has seen it and how was it for reality. It was a great series.

        Brian
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2001
          Which one? Net Worth? I enjoyed that one. How accurate was iut? It all
          depends upon who you believe but it probably was close enough to the truth
          at least in substance.

          hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

        • mtlhockey@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2001
            wausport@... writes:

            << Which one? Net Worth? >>

            Yes, sorry I should have included the title. I enjoyed it as well. From a
            historical view I wondered just how accurate it was. I would guess it was
            close, but TV always has more drama.

            Brian