Bullfrog

  • nieforth@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2001
      Had a smile over this one and thought I'd pass it along.

      From The Toronto Daily Star, 20 Dec. 1917, p. 24:

      "The National Hockey League is always introducing new whistles of a
      unique brand so that the spectators cannot stop play by using
      whistles the same as the officials. This year President Calder has
      new whistles, which have been brought all the way from England. They
      are really wonders in their way. They are built like a pipe organ,
      only they have but two pipes. If they are blown into one corner of
      the mouth they give a deep, full-throated sound; if from the other
      they give a treble. When blown into from the centre their sound
      resembles something between the roaring of an infuriated bull and the
      summer night lullaby of the latter's amphibious namesake, the
      bullfrog."

      Seeing that this was the first gameday for the NHL, how could the
      National Hockey League always be introducing new whistles?
    • Dave Soutter
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2001
        So after all that, they finally settled on the trusty Acme Thunderer.
        --Dave Soutter

        > "The National Hockey League is always introducing new whistles of a
        > unique brand so that the spectators cannot stop play by using
        > whistles the same as the officials.
      • Morey Holzman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2001
          Sounds like it was written by another media member who was on the
          NHL's payroll at that time...

        • danaemr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2001
            This is right up there with the stories my Dad told me about walking to school in Manitoba in 6 feet of snow with a 50lb hockey bag on his back and 40lbs of books uphill both ways with the sun beating down on his head!
            Danae
          • bearcats
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2001
              Not that there's anything wrong with that!