where we are from

  • Frank TEX Liebmann
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 24, 2001
      I got the info up at the following URL.

      http://www.geocities.com/texliebmann/hockey/hockhist/liststats.htm

      I have some comments I'll pass along when I have time tomorrow.

      One question for those in the UK; for list purposes, would you like to be considered seperately as Scotland, Englad and Wales or as a whole as the UK?

      Frank

    • mandb191@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 25, 2001
        Frank
        The UK.

        (This is technically the name of the sovereign state sending Members of
        Parliament to Westminster and recognised as such at the United Nations.
        Now like the USA and Canada three of the four 'home' countries have their own
        'parliaments/assemblies' dealing with their internal affairs, except the
        largest with the biggest population - England).

        If others say Scotland, Wales etc may I suggest the UK is given followed by
        (England/Northern Ireland/Scotland/ )as appropriate in brackets.

        Martin

      • Sean Pickett
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 26, 2001
          Frank,

          Thank you very much for this information.

          Sean

          On 24 Apr 01, at 22:01, Frank TEX Liebmann wrote:

          > I got the info up at the following URL.
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/texliebmann/hockey/hockhist/liststats.htm
          >
          > I have some comments I'll pass along when I have time tomorrow.
          >
          > One question for those in the UK; for list purposes, would you like to
          > be considered seperately as Scotland, Englad and Wales or as a whole
          > as the UK?
          >
          > Frank

          > This has been a Hockey History List mailing
          > The Official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA) <A
          > HREF=http://www.hockeyresearch.com/>Our Homepage</A> To unsubscribe
          > from this mail list, send a blank message to
          > hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • mrdcool
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 26, 2001
            Hey gang:

            I'm looking for a little advice or direction. I love hockey (as do we all),
            but I rarely get to travel to any hockey sites other than local games and
            the occasional road game. As a teacher, I can't vacation in the winter when
            leagues are in action. What I'm would like is a list of good hockey places
            to visit during the summer months (i.e. Hockey Hall of Fame). I obviously
            won't get to see any games, but where would be some places I could stop on
            a vacation? I especially enjoy hockey history, but any suggestions would be
            appreciated. FYI, I live in Michigan approximately 45 minutes from Sarnia,
            Ontario, so suggesting something in Europe or California probably won't be
            helpful ;) Anything in the central or eastern U.S. or Ontario that I "must
            see?"

            Thank you all very much!

            Matt
          • Al
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 26, 2001
              The United States Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth, Minnesota
              http://www.ushockeyhall.com/
              From their web site:
              The United States Hockey Hall of Fame is America's hockey designated shrine
              and showcase to all levels of the sport. Since 1973, 103 great American
              hockey people with outstanding hockey achievements from all of the
              competitive levels of the game have been enshrined. Visitors experience the
              thrilling game action and inspiring achievements of players, coaches,
              builders and administrators through authentic, informative and entertaining
              displays and memorabilia.

              Eveleth, Minnesota, "The Capital of American Hockey", has been given that
              designation and the home of the United States Hockey Hall of Fame because of
              it's rich hockey traditions. No community the size of Eveleth has produced
              as many quality players or has contributed more to the growth and
              development of the sport in the United States.

              The United States Hockey Hall of Fame is a national shrine of historical
              significance dedicated to honoring the great sport of ice hockey in the
              United States.

              From its earliest origins, covering USA Hockey, the National Hockey League
              and amateur hockey groups, the exhibits will guide you through exciting
              displays featuring the "Great Wall of Fame" of Inductees, the Olympic
              Display, Gallery of Hockey Art, historical exhibits of hockey memorabilia
              and the Theater of Hockey Highlights.

              So I think this is a MUST SEE!
              and yes...I have been there!,....planning on a trip this summer again.

              -----------------------------------------------------@
              Al
              http://www.wildden.com
              hockeyguy@...
              The Wild e-mail list
              mnwild@yahoogroups.com
              mnwild-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              ICQ 4154791
              The State of Hockey
              -----------------------------------------------------@
              Make money today!

              www.FreeMoneyMakingMagazine.com/?a=9253

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 26, 2001
                At 10:28 PM 04/26/2001, you wrote:
                Depends on what you want to do and how far back you want to go. Within
                your area is of course the birth place of the first ever international pro
                league with franchises in Calamut, Houghton, the two Soos. I don't know if
                any of these towns preserve this heritage of theirs. This kind of hockey
                vacation requires you to read something ahead of time so you know where to
                go and what you are looking for. There is a Master's thesis on the
                International Hockey League by Daniel Mason. You can probably get it
                through the interlibrary loan from your local university or college.

                Another little place you might want to consider is Renfrew, Ontario, which
                at one time harbored the most expensive hockey team in the pro league and
                included Hall of Famers such as Cyclone Taylor, the Patrick brothers, etc.,
                etc. You can also pre-read if you can get you hands on a copy of The
                Renfrew Millionaires by Frank Cosentino. If you can get one, let me know
                where too. Failing that, you can read the biography of Taylor and the
                Patricks both by Eric Whitehead.

                I think these little towns really speak to the roots of Canadian hockey.

                >Hey gang:
                >
                >I'm looking for a little advice or direction. I love hockey (as do we all),
                >but I rarely get to travel to any hockey sites other than local games and
                >the occasional road game. As a teacher, I can't vacation in the winter when
                >leagues are in action. What I'm would like is a list of good hockey places
                >to visit during the summer months (i.e. Hockey Hall of Fame). I obviously
                >won't get to see any games, but where would be some places I could stop on
                >a vacation? I especially enjoy hockey history, but any suggestions would be
                >appreciated. FYI, I live in Michigan approximately 45 minutes from Sarnia,
                >Ontario, so suggesting something in Europe or California probably won't be
                >helpful ;) Anything in the central or eastern U.S. or Ontario that I "must
                >see?"

                John Wong
                Department of Kinesiology
                University of Maryland at College Park
              • Mike Ewer - European Hockey.Net
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 26, 2001
                  > > I got the info up at the following URL.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.geocities.com/texliebmann/hockey/hockhist/liststats.htm

                  Great info, thanks!

                  I was wondering if I was listed as "from" England or "living in" Michigan?

                  > > 5 Sweden
                  > > 3 each: Denmark, Finland, Germany
                  > > 1 each: Czech Rep, France, Netherlands, Ukraine

                  I know Pat Houda and Joep, but I feel the rest of these (16) are lurkers (sorry if I missed anyone)?
                  As European Hockey.Net is expanding its services this year, I would really appreciate a brief e-mail
                  from these members just outlining your hockey interests and any projects you are working on. Thanks!

                  Mike Ewer
                  Co-Owner European Hockey.Net
                  www.eurohockey.net
                  hockey sans frontières!
                  mike@...
                • Mike Ewer - European Hockey.Net
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 26, 2001
                    > >What I'm would like is a list of good hockey places
                    > >to visit during the summer months (i.e. Hockey Hall of Fame). I obviously
                    > >won't get to see any games, but where would be some places I could stop on
                    > >a vacation? I especially enjoy hockey history, but any suggestions would be
                    > >appreciated. FYI, I live in Michigan approximately 45 minutes from Sarnia,
                    > >Ontario

                    It's not what purists would call historical, but have you been to Gordie Howe's restaurant in
                    Traverse City? It's neatly done out using old memorabilia, using his old skates as flower pots,
                    etc... It's to the south of the city, on Garfield just south of the airport, on the east side of the
                    road. Watch out for it, it's easy to miss. BTW if you're interested in the history of music too,
                    there's the excellent Music House on the north-eastern outskirts of the city off US31 which
                    celebrates the history of mechanical music such as nickelodeons and those huge fairground organs.

                    Depending on the length of your summer vacation, you may be able to time the Traverse trip with the
                    Redwings' training camp!

                    Mike Ewer
                    (wishing there was some hockey history stuff in Muskegon)

                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 26, 2001
                      >It's not what purists would call historical, but have you been to Gordie
                      Howe's restaurant in
                      >Traverse City? It's neatly done out using old memorabilia, using his old
                      skates as flower pots,
                      >etc... It's to the south of the city, on Garfield just south of the
                      airport, on the east side of the
                      >road. Watch out for it, it's easy to miss. BTW if you're interested in the
                      history of music too,
                      >there's the excellent Music House on the north-eastern outskirts of the
                      city off US31 which
                      >celebrates the history of mechanical music such as nickelodeons and those
                      huge fairground organs.

                      >Depending on the length of your summer vacation, you may be able to time
                      the Traverse trip with the
                      >Redwings' training camp!

                      Thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the restaurant. Sounds
                      interesting...
                      Muskegon, eh....not a Fury fan I hope ;) Just kidding.....

                      Thanks again....Matt

                    • mtlhockey@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 27, 2001
                        In a message dated 4/26/01 4:01:28 PM, mrdcool@... writes:

                        << As a teacher, I can't vacation in the winter when
                        leagues are in action. What I'm would like is a list of good hockey places
                        to visit during the summer months (i.e. Hockey Hall of Fame). >>

                        ]
                        Not much hockey in the summer months, but the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto
                        is a must. Also Montreal is a beautiful city and you can see the forum. Also
                        check out Younge St. in Toronto, lots of great hockey stores.

                        Also you may want to hit the US Hockey Hall of Fame in Minnesota. That is a
                        good one as well.

                        Brian
                      • fjkku@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 27, 2001
                          Have you considered playing in a Fantasy Camp? The Rangers have one where
                          you split time between Montreal and Burlington VT over 4 or 5 days. I
                          believe it's kind of pricey.

                          Does anyone have information of other teams also doing this?

                          Steve
                        • mandb191@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 27, 2001
                            Matt,
                            If you can get that far north try Windsor NS - the Hockey Heritage Centre run
                            by Garth Vaughan, easy to find as only a small town, worth at least a couple
                            of hours.

                            Martin -
                            London - England

                          • Dan Parsons

                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 29, 2001
                                Dan,
                                You are probably right, I'll look at a map sometime.
                                Martin

                              • Dan Parsons
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 29, 2001
                                  Martin,
                                  The Hockey Heritage Centre is in Eastern Canada. Since I lived out in Nova
                                  Scotia and did not know anything abut it I'm really glad that you mentioned
                                  it. Thanks. I'll try to visit when I next go back east.
                                  This just goes to show that Central and Western Canadians often overlook
                                  Eastern Canada.

                                  Dan

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 29, 2001
                                    If you're around the centre, I would recommend looking up Howard
                                    Dill. Dill is quite familiar with the local hockey history. He's
                                    also known for developing giant strains of pumpkin and squash.

                                    Joseph

                                    --- In hockhist@y..., "Dan Parsons" <parsons_dan@h...> wrote:
                                    > Er.. I think you meant East.
                                    > Dan
                                    >
                                    > Matt,
                                    > If you can get that far north try Windsor NS - the Hockey Heritage
                                    Centre
                                    > run by Garth Vaughan, easy to find as only a small town, worth at
                                    least a
                                    > couple of hours.
                                    >
                                    > Martin -
                                    > London - England

                                  • Frank TEX Liebmann
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 29, 2001
                                      Hey Mike,

                                      I have you as living in Michigan. Just like I live in Utah but am from Oregon or Texas depending on what mood I'm in. :)

                                      Frank

                                      I was wondering if I was listed as "from" England or "living in" Michigan?

                                      > > 5 Sweden
                                      > > 3 each: Denmark, Finland, Germany
                                      > > 1 each: Czech Rep, France, Netherlands, Ukraine

                                      I know Pat Houda and Joep, but I feel the rest of these (16) are lurkers (sorry if I missed anyone)?
                                      As European Hockey.Net is expanding its services this year, I would really appreciate a brief e-mail
                                      from these members just outlining your hockey interests and any projects you are working on. Thanks!

                                      Mike Ewer
                                      Co-Owner European Hockey.Net
                                      www.eurohockey.net
                                      hockey sans frontières!
                                      mike@...

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      Click for Details

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 30, 2001
                                        Sean wrote:

                                        >Thank you very much for this information.

                                        Sure thing.

                                        Now that I'm back to Vegas, I'd like to make a few comments about where we are from.

                                        1. When you look at the States/Provinces we are from, Ontario being in first is no surprise. New York and Pennsylvania are no surprise either. But then you see something that should surprise all of the sun belt nay sayers. California, Texas and Virgina are all up there in numbers. Arizona and Oklahoma also have good representation.

                                        2. Two provinces are missing from the list, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland. In fact, I think we have only had two folks from each of these ever since the list started. Anybody have any clues why?

                                        3. Only 6 people from Minnesota. Again, three sun belt states ahead of them.

                                        4. Every state in the deep south is represented except for Arkansas.

                                        5. In spite of being a state of very important historical developments (first US major league team, first US team to play for a Stanley Cup, first major junior team in the US, first US team to win a Memorial Cup) there's only one person from Oregon. Washington, home of the city to win the US's first Stanley Cup only has one person as well. Compare that to California's 24.

                                        6. If you haven't filled out the polls on age and gender, please take a few moments to do so.

                                        Frank

                                          > 2. Two provinces are missing from the list,
                                          > Saskatchewan and Newfoundland. In fact, I think we
                                          > have only had two folks from each of these ever
                                          > since the list started. Anybody have any clues why?

                                          Small overall provincial populations? When Regina held
                                          the Grey Cup, the stadium was able to hold 1 in 5 of
                                          the entire city's population. That's small...

                                          D!

                                          =====
                                          David Stewart-Candy
                                          International Ice Hockey Almanac
                                          Canadian Lacrosse Almanac
                                          Vancouver, British Columbia

                                        • Morey Holzman
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 30, 2001
                                            > 1. When you look at the States/Provinces we are from, Ontario being
                                            in first is no surprise. New York and Pennsylvania are no surprise
                                            either. But then you see something that should surprise all of the
                                            sun belt nay sayers. California, Texas and Virgina are all up there
                                            in numbers. Arizona and Oklahoma also have good representation.

                                            Computer usage play a factor?

                                            > 2. Two provinces are missing from the list, Saskatchewan and
                                            Newfoundland. In fact, I think we have only had two folks from each
                                            of these ever since the list started. Anybody have any clues why?

                                            I know they have computers in Saskatoon. I've seen the Gordie
                                            Howe/Stan Mikita commercials.

                                            > 3. Only 6 people from Minnesota. Again, three sun belt states ahead
                                            of them.

                                            > 4. Every state in the deep south is represented except for Arkansas.

                                            > 5. In spite of being a state of very important historical
                                            developments (first US major league team, first US team to play for a
                                            Stanley Cup, first major junior team in the US, first US team to win
                                            a Memorial Cup) there's only one person from Oregon. Washington, home
                                            of the city to win the US's first Stanley Cup only has one person as
                                            well. Compare that to California's 24.

                                            Oregon may have been home to the team that first won the Stanley Cup
                                            (Seattle was the first to win a challenge series), but how many years
                                            was Portland left without hockey after the Buckaroos were (what seems
                                            like) the only WHL team not to go into the NHL or WHA? Sorry, forgot
                                            about Salt Lake. But at least they made other plans.

                                            > 6. If you haven't filled out the polls on age and gender, please
                                            take a few moments to do so.

                                            Does the poll move an age category? I;ve graduated sicnce I've
                                            joined the list.

                                            Morey
                                          • francz
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 1, 2001
                                              --- David Stewart-Candy <icehockeyalmanac@...>
                                              wrote:
                                              > > 2. Two provinces are missing from the list,
                                              > > Saskatchewan and Newfoundland. In fact, I think we
                                              > > have only had two folks from each of these ever
                                              > > since the list started. Anybody have any clues
                                              > why?
                                              >
                                              > Small overall provincial populations? When Regina
                                              > held the Grey Cup, the stadium was able to hold 1 in
                                              5 of the entire city's population. That's small...

                                              > D!

                                              D!, of course you are being very technical and strict
                                              in your accounting by not counting livestock.

                                              Rob Swiniarski

                                              Beaver Falls, BC
                                              francz39@...

                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 1, 2001
                                                Dan
                                                Hope you get there. The owner is the author of ' The Puck Starts Here'
                                                setting out the case for hockey's origin in Nova Scotia.
                                                Martin