Re: [hockhist] 7 goal games

  • Mike Ewer - European Hockey.Net
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2001
      > What was the calibre of play Mike?
      >
      > Were the teams very evenly matched?

      Calibre was awful compared to the rest of the world... Lehti was a Finnish Division 1 player with I
      believe a couple of games in the SM-Liiga... along with two other imported players (usually IHL/ECHL
      standard) and the rest of the teams were made up of amateurs paid expenses and training just twice a
      week. We're talking about 5 years before GB even dared return to the international scene. Look up
      Garry Unger's stats from the same era... the guy was playing with one hand behind his back much of
      the time... ;o)

      Mike Ewer
      www.eurohockey.net
    • Iain Fyffe
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2001
        This is isn't since Malone, but before him. In the Manitoba senior league
        in a game in 1912, Bert Andrews of the WInnipeg Varsity team scored 10
        goals. He finished the season with a grand total of 11 in 3 games).

        Iain.

        Iain Fyffe
        www.geocities.com/puckerings
        Fredericton, N.B.

        "Improvise, adapt, and overcome. And when all else fails, hit it with a big
        hammer."

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2001
        • mandb191@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2001
            Mike,
            Why should it not count? It was legit league hockey sanctioned by the then
            governing body the BIHA. Not a pro like league like to-day's Superleague but
            I bet the Finns were not playing for free.

            Martin C. Harris

          • Mike Ewer - European Hockey.Net
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2001
              Martin C. Harris wrote:
              > Why should it not count? It was legit league hockey sanctioned by the then
              > governing body the BIHA. Not a pro like league like to-day's Superleague but
              > I bet the Finns were not playing for free.

              Did I say it shouldn't? It was certainly officially a semi-pro league, so the amazing scores from
              the 80s and early 90s would all count towards any international records.

              Off this topic:
              Martin,
              Can you prepare me a mini-history of UK hockey for me along the lines of the Finnish one I posted
              earlier? URL: http://www.eurohockey.net/reference/milestones/fi
              I have a Swedish one now which I will post once I have done the spellcheck on it.

              Mike Ewer
              www.eurohockey.net
            • mandb191@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001