Re: [hockhist] Brian Berard

  • benjamin@prcn.org
    Message 1 of 36 , Mar 2, 2001
      >I won't try to predict that far down the road...who knows. And no, it won't
      >hurt the game if it does come to pass. Although I do sincerely hope that
      the
      >suit of armor mentality doesn't prevail, because if it does we could see
      our
      >first parapalgic.

      I think this is the nub of our disagreement. The suit of armour mentality
      *has* prevailed. It is a fact of life in the NHL, and that is not going to
      change. We are going to see a parapalegic sooner or later no matter what we
      do. Brian Savage came oh so close last year and that one was entirely
      unavoidable. We have to focus on avoidable injuries and live with the
      unavoidable ones.

      >And honestly, I'm not sure
      >that all the plethora of new equiptment hasn't lighteeds the risk of lesser
      >injuries while increasing it for worse ones. When I plaeyed, you were more
      >careful with the stick and just din't nail a guy in no man's land. Why?
      None
      >of us is homicidal nor did any of us want to go face first into the boards
      >with no shield!

      I don't think there is any doubt this is the case. When my son went out on
      the ice the first time, injury was virtually impossible. He grew up that
      way. By the time the players were big enough and fast enough to hurt each
      other, the habits, the muscle memory, the feelings of invulnerability were
      already there. We aren't going to take the armour off the kids. The suit of
      armour mentality *has* prevailed. It is a fact of life in the NHL, and that
      is not going to change.

      >Am I advocating to ditch protectionin kids? No. You CAN'T! But I'm just not
      >sure that drssing guys up like mummies at the pro level is a solution
      >either.

      We aren't asking players to add equipment when they turn pro. We should
      merely insist that they not discard it. They have learned to play dressed
      like mummies. They have learned that winning is everything and playing
      without fear and giving no quarter is essential to success. They don't
      unlearn that when they discard protection. They can't unlearn that.

      >All NO BRAINERS and LONG overdue! Plus one thing that should be cracked
      down
      >on more is the slough foot. It is a despisable tactic!

      I'll add one more that is sure to be controversial: I don't think we should
      allow players to leave their feet to block shots. After the Trent McCleary
      incident last year, I decided that should be a two minute penalty.

      http://proicehockey.about.com/library/weekly/aa021100.htm

      Tom
    • RFK
      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 3, 2001
        Just a comment on the below. I am lifting it from the 1972 book "For Love
        Money and Future Considerations" by former Toronto Argonaut tight end Mel
        Profit. (By the way that is the finest football book I have ever seen.) Mel
        Profit was one of the finest tight ends in the history of the Canadian
        Football League and an All-American at UCLA in 1964. He was responding to
        the quote from Vince Lombardi "Winning isn't everything, it is the only
        thing."

        " Somebody with a great deal more insight said a long time ago 'It's not
        whether you win or lose, but how you play the game.' Its a trite expression,
        but it goes a great deal futher toward defining "successful" in my mind than
        does Lombardi's philosophy. Winning isn't everything , and when it becomes
        the only thing it's a sickness."

        Amen......

        Craig Wallace

        ----

        How you play the game - where you carry your stick for example or
        >whether you belt somebody from behind - is more important than winning.
        That