Paperback Hero - obscure hockey movie (1973)

  • francz39@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 25, 2001
      For some reason, this movie popped back into my brain. Maybe it was
      the Gordon Lightfoot song. Anyway, just wondering if anybody on this
      list has seen it, and/or if anybody has a copy that they are willing
      to lend?

      For those who missed it, it was filmed in 1973 in rural Saskatchewan.
      I saw it on the CBC in about 1979 or 1980. Keir Dullea, who was in
      the film "2001", was the star. He is Canadian so I guess the
      producers figured he could skate. Elizabeth Ashley and Dayle Haddon
      were also in it. Dayle Haddon was a model (Canadian, but I don't
      know if she could skate) and one of the very early SI swimsuit
      models. As a 19 or 20 year old back then, I couldn't believe that
      the CBC showed a nude scene with Dullea and Haddon! (Well, it was
      late at night.)

      I remember there being a character who I think they referred to in
      the movie as "oldtimer"; when I saw the credits at the end of the
      flick, the part was played by HHOFer Max Bentley!

      There was a hockey game-brawl scene, and I remember the RCMP chasing
      down Dullea down the main street of Delisle (which of course was the
      home of the many Bentleys). In 1995 I took a detour and drove
      through Delisle, because I had the chance to. Down the main drive,
      looped through the arena parking lot and back. Took about four
      minutes. (Small-town Saskatchewan had its heart ripped out in the
      1990s.) I remember driving past where the McLeod's Hardware store
      was (which was visible in the movie). It was boarded up.

      Searching the net on Copernic, apparently it was released on VHS in
      September, 1987, with a list price of $79.98. I don't think it's
      even worth $7.98, but I'd love to see it again.

      There are scads of great information about the movie at
      http://us.imdb.com/CommentsShow?0071966

      The nuggets I found on that site which were interesting were that the
      co-producer was John F. Bassett (Toronto Argonauts, Memphis Southmen,
      Carling's father), and that the "referee" was Mike Shabaga (a
      long-time Western Hockey League journeyman).

      Somebody submitted a review and posted it on the site:
      "It's set in a dry little Saskatchewan town, but the setting is never
      brought to life and the town is just a backdrop for the big city
      movie crew that's clearly come to town to burn up some tax shelter
      money."

      That about hits the nail on the head. There must have been some
      mighty fine Canada Council grants behind it, but hey, back then The
      Land Was Strong.

      Anybody else have memories of this one?

      Rob Swiniarski -- who must shamelessly announce the arrival on
      February 15 of Roc "Rocky" Swiniarski, 8lbs 2oz, destined to be the
      first draft choice of the Seattle McCaw Orcas in the 2019 Entry Draft.

      Beaver Falls, BC
      francz39@...
    • nieforth@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 26, 2001
        That John F. Bassett is also of CFTO-TV and Glen-Warren Productions,
        which likely was the company behind the flic.

        > The nuggets I found on that site which were interesting were that
        the
        > co-producer was John F. Bassett (Toronto Argonauts, Memphis
        Southmen,
        > Carling's father), and that the "referee" was Mike Shabaga (a
        > long-time Western Hockey League journeyman).

        Wouldn't be the Canada Council (they don't fund films that are
        expected to make money). Probably a mix of Federal & Provincial
        grants and tax credits. There has to be some $$$ incentive for the
        crew to pick up and shoot out west.

        > That about hits the nail on the head. There must have been some
        > mighty fine Canada Council grants behind it, but hey, back then The
        > Land Was Strong.

        Happily, no. Do remember the title.

        > Anybody else have memories of this one?

        Joseph
      • mandb191@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 26, 2001
          Mike Shabaga,now there is a name from the past, and an illustrious past. He
          played for Canada (Penticton V's) when they regained the World Championship
          from the Russians, which were held in West Germany in March 1955.
          He scored twice in Canada's 5-0 blanking of the Soviets on March 6th in
          Krefeld with 11,000 jammed into the arena.

          Shabaga notched the only marker of the opening period at 4.20. Bill Warwick
          netted the second and fourth with Mike adding the third at 24.20.

          Martin
        • Kevin Shea
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 26, 2001
            Anyone remember "Face Off"? as I recall, George Armstrong played a
            cameo in this Canadian film.

            kevin shea
          • francz39@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 26, 2001
              --- In hockhist@y..., Kevin Shea <kshea@i...> wrote:
              > Anyone remember "Face Off"? as I recall, George Armstrong played a
              > cameo in this Canadian film.

              & Derek Sanderson also had a few lines, I think Jim McKenny was the
              hockey body double for lead actor Art Hindle, and the doll was played
              by Trudy Young. IIRC it was written by Scott Young; don't know why
              Neil wasn't asked to do the music. Wasn't John (Animal House) Vernon
              the Punch Imlachesque coach of the Leafs?

              Rob Swiniarski -- who waited all year for Hockey Night In Canada to
              run their great altered version of "King of Hockey" during the
              playoff intermissions in the early 1970's

              Beaver Falls, BC
              francz39@...
            • Kevin Shea
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 26, 2001
                Rob, you're damned good at this here hockey movie trivia stuff! Thanks
                for the memory.

                kevin
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 27, 2001
                  LOVED Face Off and yes "Dean Wormer" was the coach of the Leafs! I
                  originally saw it pre Animal House. But now, I keep on expecting him to put
                  Hindle and Armstroinig on double secret probation.

                  It was a fun movie, a lot of good old game shots.
                  > Anyone remember "Face Off"? as I recall, George Armstrong played a
                  > cameo in this Canadian film.

                  & Derek Sanderson also had a few lines, I think Jim McKenny was the
                  hockey body double for lead actor Art Hindle, and the doll was played
                  by Trudy Young. IIRC it was written by Scott Young; don't know why
                  Neil wasn't asked to do the music. Wasn't John (Animal House) Vernon
                  the Punch Imlachesque coach of the Leafs?

                  Rob Swiniarski -- who waited all year for Hockey Night In Canada to
                  run their great altered version of "King of Hockey" during the
                  playoff intermissions in the early 1970's

                  Beaver Falls, BC
                  francz39@...

                  This has been a Hockey History List mailing
                  The Official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)
                  <A HREF=http://www.hockeyresearch.com/>Our Homepage</A>
                  To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message
                  to hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 27, 2001
                      Even Harold Ballard 'played' a team Doctor. I would imagine that you could
                      pick out quite a few real players, coaches, broadcasters, etc. of that era.
                      ------------------------------------
                      Message: 13
                      Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 06:35:57 -0000
                      From: francz39@...
                      Subject: Re: Paperback Hero - obscure hockey movie (1973)

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 27, 2001
                        Jacques Plante played a goalie for the Vancouver Canucks, IIRC. They had to
                        shoot his scene several times, because the script called for him to allow a
                        goal, and he stubbornly refused to be beaten.

                        The SCTV cast did a very funny spoof of this one. The protagonist's name was
                        Billy Stemhovlichski and he played for the Toronto Bay Leafs.

                        --
                        Lloyd Davis
                        Lloyd Davis Publishing Services
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 27, 2001
                          --- Lloyd Davis <ldavis2@...> wrote:
                          > The SCTV cast did a very funny spoof of this one.
                          > The protagonist's name was
                          > Billy Stemhovlichski and he played for the Toronto
                          > Bay Leafs.

                          Was this the sketch where the father (Joe Flaherty)
                          tells the son something like, "One day you'll grow up
                          to be a big time hockey player, like...like...like Pat
                          Boutette!" ?

                          Rob Swiniarski

                          Beaver Falls, BC
                          francz39@...

                          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                        • Mike Thompson
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 27, 2001
                            Yup - one of the funniest episodes of one of the funniest shows of all time!

                            Mike Thompson

                            > > The SCTV cast did a very funny spoof of this one.
                            > > The protagonist's name was
                            > > Billy Stemhovlichski and he played for the Toronto
                            > > Bay Leafs.
                            >
                            > Was this the sketch where the father (Joe Flaherty)
                            > tells the son something like, "One day you'll grow up
                            > to be a big time hockey player, like...like...like Pat
                            > Boutette!" ?
                            >
                            > Rob Swiniarski
                            >
                            > Beaver Falls, BC
                            > francz39@...

                          • Jeff Cos
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 27, 2001
                              No.....the "Pat Boutette" line comes from a different sketch, where Dad
                              (Joe) had 3 kids, Johnny (Candy), who just came back from hockey camp (a
                              300 pounder at the time he was), Leonard (Joe's "daughter") who recites
                              a poem about Johnny's return home, and his (pass the vegetable)daughter,
                              played by Catherine O'Hara.

                              The first sketch cited I can't quite recall.....

                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 27, 2001
                                I remember the Bay Leafs and the song "It's Billy's first game". I also
                                remember the Boutette comment but also am not sure it is form the same
                                sketch!

                                f r wrote:

                                > --- Lloyd Davis <ldavis2@...> wrote:
                                > > The SCTV cast did a very funny spoof of this one.
                                > > The protagonist's name was
                                > > Billy Stemhovlichski and he played for the Toronto
                                > > Bay Leafs.
                                >
                                > Was this the sketch where the father (Joe Flaherty)
                                > tells the son something like, "One day you'll grow up
                                > to be a big time hockey player, like...like...like Pat
                                > Boutette!" ?
                                >
                                > Rob Swiniarski
                                >
                                > Beaver Falls, BC
                                > francz39@...

                                This has been a Hockey History List mailing
                                The Official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)
                                <A HREF=http://www.hockeyresearch.com/>Our Homepage</A>
                                To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message
                                to hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

                              • Jay Miller
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 27, 2001
                                  Hello,

                                  I wasn't going advertise my own site through this research group, but after
                                  thinking about it I thought that some people may find it useful as I do sell
                                  vintage hockey memorabilia including old programs. I'm sure that there a
                                  number of collectors that use this thread as well. Please check it out. The
                                  link is below. Thanks, Jay.

                                  www.netcollectibles.net
                                • bearcats
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 28, 2001
                                    Did this move also have Derek Sanderson? And the scene near the end where
                                    the stars girl friends crashes in fiery accident?

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 28, 2001
                                      Yes it had both! Sanderson had a few lines in a bar and later on in an on
                                      ice scene.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 1, 2001
                                        From an SCTV fan site, I came across the following.

                                        The SCTV spoof of Face-Off was called "Power Play."

                                        Darryl Sittler (John Candy) was Billy Stemhovlichski. William Shatner (Dave
                                        Thomas) played Coach Kirk. Catherine O'Hara did her Helen Shaver
                                        impersonation as the love interest. Joe Flaherty played "Dick Bedlow." My
                                        favourite: Rick Moranis playing Al Waxman as "The Chief." Eugene Levy played
                                        "Murray Eagleson," who sang "O Canada, our home and native land, and it's
                                        Billy's first game..."

                                        Here's a synopsis of the skit:

                                        Coach Kirk stumbles on Billy playing street hockey and brings him to play
                                        for the lagging Toronto Bay Leaves. The Chief, Captain of the Leaves, takes
                                        Billy out to get some clothes. At the mall, Billy meets an activist and
                                        gives her tickets to the game. At the game against Philadelphia, Billy has
                                        to choose between playing his enforcer role and non-violence advocated by
                                        the activist.

                                        Someone else was asking about another sketch, which I believe was the one
                                        called "We're Gonna Be All Right, You Creep, Leaving Home and All, Eh!"

                                        In it, "Johnny returns home from hockey camp."