Re: Australia or New Zealand players?

  • MOREY_H@HOTMAIL.COM
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2001
      Just to follow up Bill's comment:

      Tommy Dunderdale was born in Australia, but grew up in Canada. (I
      want to say Toronto, but might have been Winnipeg.) He is in the
      Hall of Fame.

      As weird as this might sound, an Australian born-and-raised
      heavyweight boxer named Paddy Slavin had an extremely influential
      role in the formation of professional hockey. After being
      heavyweight champ of England, Slavin came to NY and hooked up with
      Joe Boyle. The two of them traveled the continent, and eventually
      led to the forming of the Yukon challengers who challenged for the
      Stanley Cup in 1905, and the forming of a team you might have heard
      of: the Montreal Canadiens. In the Yukon, Boyle met Tex Rickard, who
      formed two teams, including one you might have heard of: the New York
      Rangers.

      Rickard brought two boxing promoter friends into pro hockey before he
      died, and you might have heard of these two teams: the Detroit
      Cougars (now Red Wings) and Chicago Black Hawks. If you're keeping
      score, this washed-up Australian boxer was indirectly involved in
      bringing together four of the Original Six.

      The details are much more complicated than I've presented, and you'll
      have to wait until our book: "Deceptions And Doublecross: How the NHL
      Conquered Hockey" comes out to get the full story.

      Morey Holzman

      --- In hockhist@y..., "William Underwood" <wausport@b...> wrote:
      > Some have played tier two junior and as I recall there was one in
      college.
      > We have to separate Aussie/New Zealand born and those developed
      there at
      > this point. To my knowledge no Aussie/Kiwi PRODUCED player has
      played pro
      > over here.

      Zealand, I
      > am just wondering?
      > Mike Witty

      > <A HREF=http://www.hockeyresearch.com/>Our Homepage</A>
      > To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message
      > to hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com
    • Mike Witty
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2001
        Thanks everyone,
        There's some interesting stuff you all mentioned.
        Thanks,
        Mike Witty