Re: [hockhist] Hockey Ink

  • Pattie Anderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
      "S.D. Rhodes" wrote:

      > "Hockey Ink!" folded a few years ago. About the same time, a new
      > magazine for minor league hockey called "Just Hockey" came into
      > existence. However, it's not nearly as good in my opinion -- it's
      > almost entirely "personal interest" stories about the players, and very
      > little in the way of on-ice coverage.

      You really know how to hurt a girl, Scott!

      Seriously, after issues of Hockey Ink! mysteriously stopped arriving, I
      saw that one HI's columnists posted to a newsgroup. I e-mailed her
      privately about the magazine. She claimed she didn't know what happened
      to it, but she was no longer writing for it (not exactly a news flash,
      since no one was writing for it any more!).

      Hockey Ink! was a great publication, but I think its days would have
      been numbered even if it hadn't folded for whatever reason it did. Most
      of its coverage (games, standings, and stats) can now be found
      relatively easily on the Internet with many newspapers and ESPN, CNN/SI,
      CANOE and the like online.

      Pattie (who covers two teams for Just Hockey)
      --
      Pattie Anderson
      pattiea@...

      "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small
      people always do that, but the really great make you feel that
      you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain (1835-1910).
    • S.D. Rhodes
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
        >Hockey Ink! was a great publication, but I think its days would
        >have been numbered even if it hadn't folded for whatever reason
        >it did. Most of its coverage (games, standings, and stats) can now
        >be found relatively easily on the Internet with many newspapers
        >and ESPN, CNN/SI, CANOE and the like online.

        True on most counts, but I do miss some of the analysis articles that
        HI! used to have. Comparisons between the AHL and IHL (this was back
        in the Ufer era), articles about where the leagues were headed...sites
        like epsn.com and cnnsi.com can't be bothered to do that, and if JH
        does it, it's not in any of the issues I've seen. (inthecrease.com
        does it to an extent, but the analysis doesn't seem nearly as
        sophisticated to me as what HI! used to have. Of course, it could be
        that my own analysis has gotten more sophisticated and I wouldn't be
        impressed by HI!'s analysis any more were it still around.)

        Also, I think it's nice to have that stuff in print. Silly but true.

        Given what a niche market minor league hockey is, I'm surprised any
        print medium dedicated to it can survive. Looking back I'm amazed at
        how long HI! survived, and I'm amazed at how long JH has stayed afloat.

        "For some reason, my mission in life is to make everybody
        as uneasy as possible." - Edward Gorey