Re: [hockhist] GOSSIP

  • Jeff Cos
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2001
      But didn't those rumours about "Wendy" Clark all begin simply because he
      lived at the same address as Toller Cranston?? (rented a room or
      something).....talk about homophobia! I suppose some sports reporters
      thought they were doing him a "favour" by not writing about who he lived
      with.....Stephane Richer, oddly enough, went through the same thing in
      Montreal at about the same time, but I have no idea how those started
      there....

      bearcats wrote:

      > There was that ugly incident in St. Louis with Doug Gilmour and a
      > babysitter. The next thing you know, he's learning how to rope cattle in
      > Calgary.
      >
      > And there's plenty of rumours about Wendell that I don't want to touch.
      >
      > As for the Kordic troubles, they were well documented before his death. I
      > remember watching a CBC report about Kordic when he was in Quebec. He and
      > Bryan Marchment, another of the NHL's problem children, were rooming
      > together. Both admitted alcoholics said they roomed to look after each
      > other. How ironic.
      >

      > This has been a Hockey History List mailing
      > The Official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)
      > <A HREF=http://www.hockeyresearch.com/>Our Homepage</A>
      > To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message
      > to hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com
    • Kevin Shea
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2001
        Hi Bearcat,

        John Kordic's roommate was the very talented, but very troubled Bryan
        Fogarty, not Marchment.

        kevin shea
      • Lucas Aykroyd
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 3, 2001
          > As for the Kordic troubles, they were well
          documented before his
          death. I
          > remember watching a CBC report about Kordic when he
          was in Quebec. He
          and
          > Bryan Marchment, another of the NHL's problem
          children, were rooming
          > together. Both admitted alcoholics said they roomed
          to look after
          each
          > other. How ironic.

          I believe this was actually Bryan Fogarty, rather than
          Marchment.

          Lucas

          http://photos.yahoo.com/
        • Darby31897@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 3, 2001
            Dose anyone know where Fogarty is? I lost track of him after UHL Elmira. How
            about Trevor Jobe?
          • mrdcool@greatlakes.net
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 3, 2001
              As recently as 2 weeks ago Fogarty was still skating for Elmira...Matt

              At 10:26 PM 1/3/01 EST, you wrote:
              >Dose anyone know where Fogarty is? I lost track of him after UHL Elmira. How
              >about Trevor Jobe?
              >
              >This has been a Hockey History List mailing
              >The Official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)
              ><A HREF=http://www.hockeyresearch.com/>Our Homepage</A>
              >To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message
              >to hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

            • S.D. Rhodes
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 3, 2001
                >Dose anyone know where Fogarty is? I lost track of him after UHL
                >Elmira. How about Trevor Jobe?

                Jobe recently signed with the Border City Bandits of the CHL.

                "For some reason, my mission in life is to make everybody
                as uneasy as possible." - Edward Gorey
              • LvsRattlrs@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 3, 2001
                  In a message dated 01/03/2001 9:38:29 PM Central Standard Time,
                  Darby31897@... writes:

                  > How
                  > about Trevor Jobe?

                  Last transaction I have is Border City (CHL)- 12/22/2000 Add TREVOR JOBE (C)
                  signed contract

                  Kathy
                  Rattlers Den message board
                  <A HREF="http://pub21.ezboard.com/brattlersden">http://pub21.ezboard.com/brattlersden</A>

                • Bob McDonald
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 3, 2001
                    Trevor Jobe is, I believe, currently with the Border
                    City Bandits. Interestingly, he started the season
                    with Elmira too, but I doubt there was enough booze
                    there to accomodate both him and Fogarty!

                    Bob

                    http://photos.yahoo.com/
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 3, 2001
                      Those two together--a SCARY thought!

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 4, 2001
                        What was the deal with Link Gaetz? I remember him being a fan
                        favorite one year in San Jose, and before you know it, he disappears
                        off the face of the earth! I heard something about a car accident,
                        but wasn't sure if it was true or not. Anyways, is ol' Linker still
                        playing somewhere?

                        --- In hockhist@egroups.com, "William Underwood" <wausport@b...>
                        wrote:
                        > Those two together--a SCARY thought!

                      • Rockstar
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 4, 2001
                          http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Fields/4043/linkgaetz.htm

                          This link shows he last played for the Toledo Storm in '99.

                          Keith

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 4, 2001
                            Gaetz was in a pretty serious car accident, but I'm pretty sure it was
                            alcohol abuse that prevented him from continuing his NHL career. He had a
                            pretty violent incident in the minors where he threw, I belive, a portable
                            skate sharpener at the trainer (or somebody like that). In my mind Link's
                            another example of wasted talent, similar to Fogarty.

                            matt

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 4, 2001
                              That is correct abnoiut the car accident. And he was a dangerous guy! I
                              heard stories about hoiw he carried gunus around and at one free agent camp,
                              therew a TV into a swimming pool and accosted anbother plkayers girlfriend
                              scaring the hell out of her!

                              But my favorite "Missing Link" story was when I met his mom at the draft the
                              year that he was selected. Here she was a very nice little petite lady and
                              we asked her about how he got a black eye. She jooked "I gave it to him".
                              HGEr and his sister were nice country people. Anyhow, later on we hear the
                              real story, apparently him and his brother took on a small army in a fight
                              at a local bar back home. Never a dull moment with ole Link!
                              Gaetz was in a pretty serious car accident, but I'm pretty sure it was
                              alcohol abuse that prevented him from continuing his NHL career. He had a
                              pretty violent incident in the minors where he threw, I belive, a portable
                              skate sharpener at the trainer (or somebody like that). In my mind Link's
                              another example of wasted talent, similar to Fogarty.

                              matt

                              At 11:21 PM 1/4/01 -0000, you wrote:
                              >What was the deal with Link Gaetz? I remember him being a fan
                              >favorite one year in San Jose, and before you know it, he disappears
                              >off the face of the earth! I heard something about a car accident,
                              >but wasn't sure if it was true or not. Anyways, is ol' Linker still
                              >playing somewhere?
                              >

                              >--- In hockhist@egroups.com, "William Underwood" <wausport@b...>
                              >wrote:
                              >> Those two together--a SCARY thought!
                              >>

                              >This has been a Hockey History List mailing
                              >The Official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)
                              ><A HREF=http://www.hockeyresearch.com/>Our Homepage</A>
                              >To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message
                              >to hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

                              This has been a Hockey History List mailing
                              The Official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)
                              <A HREF=http://www.hockeyresearch.com/>Our Homepage</A>
                              To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message
                              to hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com
                            • Laurie Sefton
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 4, 2001
                                Well, besides the alcohol (which was a problem), when Link Gaetz
                                scraped his head all over the off-ramp (he was riding shotgun in a
                                jeep-style car when it flipped), he took a serious amount of brain
                                damage. The Sharks didn't let on a the time, but he was in a coma for
                                about a week afterward. His reflexes didn't recovered. He played for
                                the SF Spiders for awhile, and while he wasn't drinking then (but
                                was putting down an amazing number of frozen malt cups--I watched him
                                getting fans to get them to him during one game), you could tell that
                                he'd taken some serious damage to his nervous system.

                                Laurie

                                >Gaetz was in a pretty serious car accident, but I'm pretty sure it was
                                >alcohol abuse that prevented him from continuing his NHL career. He had a
                                >pretty violent incident in the minors where he threw, I belive, a portable
                                >skate sharpener at the trainer (or somebody like that). In my mind Link's
                                >another example of wasted talent, similar to Fogarty.
                                >
                                >matt
                                >
                                >At 11:21 PM 1/4/01 -0000, you wrote:
                                >>What was the deal with Link Gaetz? I remember him being a fan
                                >>favorite one year in San Jose, and before you know it, he disappears
                                >>off the face of the earth! I heard something about a car accident,
                                >>but wasn't sure if it was true or not. Anyways, is ol' Linker still
                                >>playing somewhere?
                                >>

                                >>--- In hockhist@egroups.com, "William Underwood" <wausport@b...>
                                >>wrote:
                                >>> Those two together--a SCARY thought!
                                >>>

                                >>This has been a Hockey History List mailing
                                >>The Official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)
                                >><A HREF=http://www.hockeyresearch.com/>Our Homepage</A>
                                >>To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message
                                >>to hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com
                                >>

                                >This has been a Hockey History List mailing
                                >The Official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)
                                ><A HREF=http://www.hockeyresearch.com/>Our Homepage</A>
                                >To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message
                                >to hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com
                              • bearcats
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 4, 2001
                                  Thanks for the correction, Kevin.

                                  And by the way. Fantastic book. I bought it at Christmas.

                                  I'm passing it on to all the Leaf fans at work, hoping they will see the
                                  light.

                                  >John Kordic's roommate was the very talented, but very troubled Bryan
                                  >Fogarty, not Marchment.
                                  >
                                  >kevin shea
                                  >
                                  >This has been a Hockey History List mailing
                                  >The Official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)
                                  ><A HREF=http://www.hockeyresearch.com/>Our Homepage</A>
                                  >To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message
                                  >to hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com

                                • Charles Roth
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 4, 2001
                                    "The Missing" Link was a wild-man in his junior days in Spokane. Last I
                                    heard he was back in Saskatchewan playing amateur hockey in the intermediate
                                    Wild Goose League.

                                    Charlie Roth

                                  • MDowney075@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 4, 2001
                                      Tanks everyone for the info, and thanks Rockstar for the website. If
                                      Link had kept his head on straight, I think he would be the premier
                                      heavyweight in the league right now. 326 PIM in 48 games? Sounds
                                      pretty scary...