RE: [hockhist] The Invisible Minority

  • Jill
    Message 1 of 50 , Dec 31, 2000
      >This was mentioned in passing but no one followed up on it.
      >
      >Have there been any openly gay hockey players?

      No.

      >I am not trying to out someone but sheer numbers would make you think that
      >there were a few gay players in the NHL now never mind all of the players in
      >pro hockey history.

      Agreed that with a player pool that big, it would probably darn near
      impossible
      that there weren't gay players in the NHL.

      >It is odd that even in 2001, being a gay hockey player is hard to accept by
      >the public.

      My guess is that while public pressure would play a significant role in keping
      quiet, pressure from other players would be an even bigger role in keeping
      things firmly in the closet. A few years back, I read an account of what a
      closeted MLB player (Billy Bean?) went through when his companion was dying of
      cancer, and it seemed the biggest reason he kept so far in the closet was
      fear
      of teammate reaction.

      And of the gay male professional athletes I can think of who have been out
      while
      still competing, (Louganis, Gallindo) they've all come from basically
      individual
      sports. Also, advertisers in America still do shy away from endorsement deals
      with out athletes. Even if you account for perceived beauty differences, Chris
      Evert got a heckava lot more endorsement deals than Martina Navratalova

      Jill
      selkie@...

      "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. " -Albert Einstein
    • Bob McDonald
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 3, 2001
        The Peoria Prancers were owned by the same fellow (his
        name slips my mind) as the Danville Dashers. My
        thought is that he was aiming for Santa's entire
        "team"!

        Bob McDonald

        http://photos.yahoo.com/