Re: State of the NHL

  • Alone Wolf
    Message 1 of 44 , Jun 22, 1999
      >From: "Marc Foster" <mfoster@...>

      <<Has anyone else heard that the Beast have folded? That's news to me. They
      averaged 4,301 this season and 4,486 last year, so they couldn't have been
      suffering too badly.>>

      The Beast folded after Carolina pulled their affiliation.
      Http://members.xoom.com/beastofnh for the story.

      Carolina owns the rights to the mothballed AHL Carolina (Greensboro)
      Monarchs. They have petitioned the league to relocate the team for the
      2000-01 season. Who they will have to farm their players with the 1999-2000
      season is beyond me (besides the ECHL Fort Myers team).

      Greensboro will field an ECHL franchise...I had thought it would be for the
      2000-01 season but Jeff Brubaker has resigned as head coach of the ECHL
      Tallahassee Tiger Sharks (effective today) to take a head coaching position
      with ECHL Greensboro which makes me think they will be icing a team for the
      1999-2000 season.

      New Haven hopes to rejoin the league for the 2000-01 season.

      Alone Wolf

      Brent and the Orlando Solar Bears!
      Your 1999 IHL Eastern Conference Champions!
      http://over.to/cully_central
      Networds: Cully Central

      Wolfie's Vicious Fishes!
      http://over.to/the_frenzy
      Netword: The Frenzy
    • Jill Gillham
      Message 44 of 44 , Jun 23, 1999
        On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Kenneth R. Holdren wrote:

        > At about the same time as Karmonos buying the AHL rights to Greensboro,
        > a deal was announced for next season with Carolina and the IHL
        > Cincinnati Cyclones for, I believe, three seasons.
        >
        > Another NHL team announced an affliation deal with another IHL team the
        > same week, I forget who.

        Ottawa signed a deal with the Grand Rapids Griffins not too long ago.
        There was some speculation on the ECHL list that one of the reasons why
        the Sens signed one season wondergoalie Patrick LaLime recently was
        because he had been a favorite with the Griffins during an independant
        tour of duty there.

        Jill
        jgillham@...
        http://members.aol.com/ferndock2