Re: [hockhist] Bobby Orr

  • RFK
    Message 1 of 67 , Dec 1, 2000
      Bill,

      I agree with you here. It's funny though back in the late 70's I read a
      magazine article by Stan Fischer and he showed he was no fan of Orr. He said
      he was defensively weak, (I disagree) when he played the Bruins worried too
      much about getting him the puck and not enough about playing (he said the
      Cherry era Bruins were a better team without Orr - although they never won
      anything) and felt his leadership skills were poor. For that last point he
      mentioned the 73 quarter-finals when Boston lost Esposito in game 2 for the
      rest of the series and the Bruins lost the series in 5. He also mentioned
      Orr not being able to lead Boston past a weaker Philly team in the 74
      finals. I think these are cheap shots myself. The Bruins lost to a very good
      Ranger team in 73, and Fischer didn't mention the other players Boston had
      lost to the WHA. I think in 74 Boston was the better team however Philly had
      almost "inhuman" goaltending from Bernie Parent that year. I doubt the
      Russians would have put many past him!

      From: William Underwood <wausport@...>
      To: hockhist@egroups.com <hockhist@egroups.com>
      Date: November 30, 2000 8:09 PM
      Subject: RE: [hockhist] Bobby Orr

      >Frighteningly enough, about the only rap on Orr was his injury pron ness.
      He
      >was an excellent skater with great speed, coould handle the puck with the
      >best, saw the ice, could fire the puck, was not a fdefensive liability due
      >to that mobility and while he was never a banger, he didn't shy away from
      >throwing hits at all and finished his checks. He even did OK in the
      fighting
      >department I gather when he was tested as a YOUNG rookie in the 6 team
      >circuit! If it wasn't for his knees and the fact that surgical options were
      >more limited in that era...it's scary to concieve of what he might have
      >accomplished! Push comes to shove, he was the best player that I've seen!
      He
      >revolutionized rthe game, other defenceman had carried the puck before but
      >none like Orr--he was a fourth forward on the ice wihtout a defensivve
      >liability. It inspired young defencemen to be less conservative. But few
      >have been able to not only play as effectively with the puck as him and
      >those who have come close usually are wanting on D. He was special, he
      would
      >do things out there you had never seen before some nights--he was that kind
      >of player, like a Gretzky or a Lemieux have been more recently.

    • Heather & Wayne
      Message 67 of 67 , Apr 25, 2010
        What games during the 1978-79 season did Bobby Orr play in. He only played 6 games before retiring on November 8th.

        Regards

        Wayne