Re: Evel Knievel: Pro Hockey Player?

  • GEORGE LLOYD
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 1999
      --- "W. Lane Startin" <faustus@...> wrote:
      > From: "W. Lane Startin" <faustus@...>
      >
      > I came across something very interesting last night.
      > According to the
      > Evel Knievel web site, before he was jumping cars
      > and breaking bones, he
      > was a minor league hockey player, in 1959 with the
      > EHL Charlotte
      > Clippers to be exact.

      I've seen a picture of him on ice with a Seattle Americans jersy on
      when he had a tryout with the team back in the 50's. I don't think he
      actually played any league games but he may have played in exibition
      games.

      He could have done the same type of thing with Charlotte.

      > But a quick look at Ralph's site shows no Robert
      > Knievel (his real name)
      > on the Clippers roster in any year. In fact, there's
      > no Knievel listed
      > on the site at all.
      >
      > Are the stats incomplete, or is Evel embellishing a
      > bit?
      >
      > btw, this is mentioned at
      > http://www.evelknievel.com/evel-bio.html in
      > case you're interested.
      > --
    • James Karkoski
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23, 1999
        >From: GEORGE LLOYD <gjlhome@...>

        >> I came across something very interesting last night. According to the
        >> Evel Knievel web site, before he was jumping cars and breaking bones, he
        >> was a minor league hockey player, in 1959 with the EHL Charlotte Clippers
        to be exact.

        >I've seen a picture of him on ice with a Seattle Americans jersy on
        >when he had a tryout with the team back in the 50's. I don't think he
        >actually played any league games but he may have played in exibition
        >games.

        Now this blurb which was posted on the list a long time ago makes more
        sense. I don't feel so sorry for Les Binkley now:

        From "60 Years of Hockey" by Brian McFarlane, pg.240 (McGraw-Hill-Ryerson
        1976):

        "Late in the season daredevil Evil Knievel donned skates for a publicity
        stunt at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. Knievel pocketed $10,000 when he
        beat Toro's goalie Les Binkley on two out of four penalty shots between
        periods."

        James
      • W. Lane Startin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 22, 1999
          I came across something very interesting last night. According to the
          Evel Knievel web site, before he was jumping cars and breaking bones, he
          was a minor league hockey player, in 1959 with the EHL Charlotte
          Clippers to be exact.

          But a quick look at Ralph's site shows no Robert Knievel (his real name)
          on the Clippers roster in any year. In fact, there's no Knievel listed
          on the site at all.

          Are the stats incomplete, or is Evel embellishing a bit?

          btw, this is mentioned at http://www.evelknievel.com/evel-bio.html in
          case you're interested.

          W. Lane Startin
          Books, Hockey and More
          Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
          faustus@...
          ICQ: 2343757

          http://www.chinet.com/~faustus/
          http://www.chinet.com/~faustus/quebec/
          http://www.hockeyresearch.com/lstartin/
          http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/2774/

          "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie!' until you
          can find a rock"
          -Wynn Catlin