Re: State of the NHL

  • Joe Pelletier
    Message 1 of 44 , Jun 22, 1999
      Travis Weir wrote:

      > Not only that, but I can see Ottawa moving somewhere else
      > in the US, and I'm not really all that sure about Vancouver's
      > future. This sport has regretfully gone from a Canadian pro
      > sport to a purely American one.

      There's no need to worry about Vancouver. Yes, they've lost
      like 60 million over the past two years, but that's all financial
      stick handling. Orca Bay owns the company that owns the
      Canucks (it used to be called NorthWest Sports or something,
      I don't know what its called). But the way I understand it is
      that that's a public company which means they have to show
      their financial sheets. The Canucks financial sheets are heavy
      on the liability side - salary, team expenses, blah blah blah,
      but curiously (not really) the sheets are light on the revenue
      side. The Canucks don't make any money from parking revenues,
      cola sales or game souvineers blah blah blah. Why? Because
      Orca Bay creatively accounts for that as GM Place revenues.
      Its just financial stick handling to beg for tax breaks etc.

      Besides, Orca Bay can't move the Canucks. They own the Grizzlies
      and Canucks and GM Place. There's been rumours that they'd move
      the Canucks to Seattle - where John McCaw is from - but they
      can't move the Grizzlies there too. And they can't move both of
      the teams to the states and leave their money making jewel - the
      "Garage" GM Place - without its two major attractions. No one
      would buy the building in that scenario, unless they can move
      the building too!

      Besides, McCaw is so rich its not even fathomable. And he can
      always ask his buddy Bill Gates for some cash if he ever needed it!

      Okay, that's my Canuck rave of the day. When I wrote for
      the now dead Go Canucks, I wrote a controversial column called
      "Go Canucks, and take the Grizzlies with you." I was hoping
      that Orca Bay would just move the Canucks and take their
      Orca uniforms and that has been Messier and his bum buddy
      Keenan with him and we could get an expansion team and
      get Quinn back and Linden and those gold jerseys and....

      Don't mind me, I'm still suffering from Orca Bay inflicted wounds....

      Joe
      Hockey Over Time
      http://www.lcshockey.com/history
    • Jill Gillham
      Message 44 of 44 , Jun 23, 1999
        On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Kenneth R. Holdren wrote:

        > At about the same time as Karmonos buying the AHL rights to Greensboro,
        > a deal was announced for next season with Carolina and the IHL
        > Cincinnati Cyclones for, I believe, three seasons.
        >
        > Another NHL team announced an affliation deal with another IHL team the
        > same week, I forget who.

        Ottawa signed a deal with the Grand Rapids Griffins not too long ago.
        There was some speculation on the ECHL list that one of the reasons why
        the Sens signed one season wondergoalie Patrick LaLime recently was
        because he had been a favorite with the Griffins during an independant
        tour of duty there.

        Jill
        jgillham@...
        http://members.aol.com/ferndock2