Re: [hockhist] Bay Area stuff

  • Dana Shima
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
      Scott Surgent wrote:

      > The WHL Seals played in San Francisco and did alright by WHL standards.
      > The NHL Seals moved to the Oakland arena because it was newer with better
      > sightlines.

      Hi Scott,

      Actually, the move started the season before with the WHL Seals. Attendance
      just died once in Oakland which continued when the NHL Seals started up.

      > What the management didn't do is foresee the effect of moving
      > the team a mere 15 miles away. They may as well have moved the team to
      > Texas. Fans in San Fran usually ignore teams in Oakland and vice versa,
      > and at that time (1967), the Seals were a San Fran team, not an Oakland
      > team nor even a "Bay Area" team.

      > Related story: in 1993 when the Phoenix Suns (NBA) were to play the Golden
      > State Warriors (based in Oakland) in the playoffs, a news crew from
      > Phoenix headed up to the Bay Area and tried to get "fan in the street"
      > "I don't care" answers. They were in downtown San Francisco of all
      > places. It was beautiful to watch!

      How true. Nor did it help the Seals to call themselves the Oakland Seals
      instead of marketing themselves as the California Seals. There was an
      excellent story in early 1968 in SI about the problems of sports in general in
      Oakland that has relevant info on this discussion.

      Dana
    • David Stewart-Candy
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
        Didn't the WHL Seals transfer to Oakland the season
        before they joined the NHL?

        They should have known then something ill would happen
        to the team, as noe one from San Francisco wanted to
        cross the bridge to see the Seals in Oakland.

        D!

        > The WHL Seals played in San Francisco and did
        > alright by WHL standards.
        > The NHL Seals moved to the Oakland arena because it
        > was newer with better
        > sightlines

        =====
        David Stewart-Candy
        International Ice Hockey Almanac
        Canadian Lacrosse Almanac
        Vancouver, British Columbia

      • David Stewart-Candy
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
          Well, originally, the NHL team was called the
          "California Seals", but renamed themselves in December
          1967 in an attempt to build a more Oakland-centric
          identification for the team to increase attendance.

          Of course, it didn't work.

          What I find ironic when examining the (lack of)
          attendance situation with teh franchise, their best
          drawing season was their last, 1975-76.

          D!

          =====
          David Stewart-Candy
          International Ice Hockey Almanac
          Canadian Lacrosse Almanac
          Vancouver, British Columbia

        • Dave Soutter
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
            Yes, the Seals played in Oakland during their last ('66-67) season in the
            old WHL, having moved from San Francisco. They were known that last year as
            the California Seals.
            --Dave Soutter