Re: [hockhist] St. Mikes

  • f r
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2000
      --- RFK <rfk@...> wrote:
      > 1. Fighting ...
      > 2. Academic standards ...
      > 3. With St. Michaels being a Roman Catholic
      > institution ...

      Fighting -- they discourage it very much. I made
      reference to this in a post earlier this year, how
      Father Mohan reiterated St. Mikes view on it, and even
      traded Sheldon Keefe, Ryan Barnes, Mike Jefferson and
      Shawn Cation to Barrie for perhaps less than equal
      value in return. Barnes and Jefferson were the 'bad
      actors', but together with Keefe their agent (all
      three had the same agent) insisted if one went, the
      other two had to go in the same package. So they
      dealt Keefe, who was at or near the top of the scoring
      race as a rookie, in order to move Barnes and
      Jefferson. Talk about walking the walk!

      Academic -- they still encourage high standards. As
      well, St. Mikes arranges for each player to have a
      "corporate mentor", a corporate sponsor if you will,
      who actively helps to integrate the players into the
      "real" working world after their hockey days are
      through.

      Religion -- this one came up on Day One of the Majors'
      return to the OHL. They drafted Charlie Stephens with
      their first ever first pick in the Priority Selection.
      Stephens and his family were devout Protestants and
      initially expressed reluctance about Charlie joining
      the Majors. The team (I think Gerry Meehan was GM at
      the time) was able to assure the Stephenses that
      Charlie would not be coerced into Catholism. I think
      Charlie's parents were also impressed with the
      emphasis on academics. They agreed to let him attend
      (though he, too, was later traded).

      I know the late Father Bauer was at St. Mikes for a
      while, and he was a Basilian priest, but I'm not
      certain if the school is officially run by Basilians.

      Rob Swiniarski -- who attended a mass Father Bauer
      celebrated by flashlight

      Beaver Falls, BC
      francz39@...

      From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.