RE: [hockhist] Digest Number 925

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2000
      I still disagree on the following points:

      Although increasingly, communities tend are voting AGAINST these measures
      and here, in the Philly area there has been major difficulty finding an area
      that is ready to accept a new stadium. There also is MAJOR opposition to the
      project , so much so thaty it has been in gridlock for over 2 years after
      the state approved funds for their part of the equation. The same wasn't so
      for the Core States on the other hand; Snider financed it himself! So I'm
      not sure that it is in fact a majority, especially given the paltry
      precentage of peoplke who actually vote today! There may well be a "silent
      majority" whooppose it. In fact most measures that are passing are doing so
      by razor thin margins. Not the same on issues dealing with schools!

      Yes, there is a bit of a comparison between the support of a school program
      and a city program. But I think that you can also compare to an appeal for
      patriotism. At least that is more what the jingo reminds me of than school
      spirit. Or to the same sort of appeal heard to bring a new firm into the
      area. Remember, many Americans never had school spirit, but everyone can
      relate to "us against them."

      As far as supporting school athletic programs goes, there is a key
      difference. These things are looked onto as things that "keep the kids off
      the street" and are programs that their kids actually can and do play in not
      to mention many voters duid themselves.
      It's not the seame with pro teams at all. Most athletes on them are NOT
      local products and the odds of junior playing for them some day are worse
      than astronomical. Building a school gym is more akin to building a local
      rink by a municipality--people look onto it as "something for the kids that
      will be good for them." I doubt verey much that such an idea enters
      anybody's head about a stadium.

      As far as amteur sport in Canada goes. Yes, the NHL does pay the CHL
      development money. It doesn;t pay all of the bills by a long shot but helps
      some. how much a team gets depends upon howe many players are drafted form
      them and how many play in the league as underage players.

      But tyhis does not mean that high school and college sport doesn't existr in
      Canda. You bet it does! It just isn't emphasized like it is here in the US.
      Canadians have their high school and college teams to go root for just like
      Americans. The only main difference is that Canadians don't feel that
      athletic abilty should be the sole purpose for a student to be in an
      institution of higher learning, pass course, get special treatment, or be
      any different than any other student at the school. So while it is true that
      Canadian college sport isn't a pipeline to the pros--Canaians grow up
      rooting for the home toen team and their schools no l;ess than Americans do!

      And I don't see the link here. If pro team exclusively took local hiugh
      school and college products, there may be a valid point here. But they
      don't--in fact NO league has any territorial rules anymore! These guys are
      hired guns weho come in until some other town offers tham more big bucks,
      everybody knows that.

      Soory for theb so called "rant" but I live in an area where there is talk
      that maybe even we suburban folks may have to pay for "Poor Little Jeff
      Lurie's" play pen. And I resnt it DEEPLY! The stadium is only 30 years old!
      Yankee Stadium is still in use, so is Fenway and they are BOTH over TWICE as
      old! This isn't like Connie Mack Stadium which was the old barn--that was
      over a half century old, in a bad neighborhood and dilapidating! This is a
      perfectly usdable building! I say if Lurie wants to go the LA--take his
      lousy team with him and we can live with an XFL team! I just can't stomach
      subsidizing a billionaire in a league with a TV contract bigger than the GNP
      for most third world countries having to reach into my wallet! Certainly
      worth a rant isn't it?

    • James Karkoski
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2000