RE: [hockhist] AAHL/ConHL/ACHL Questions

  • S.D. Rhodes
    Message 1 of 44 , Aug 31, 2000
      >I'd like to see [hockey return to Winston-Salem] too but I
      >doubt it will ever happen.

      IIRC (Don Moore can tell you more about it than I can), a few years ago
      the coliseum that had served as the home for the Thunderbirds for so
      many years was torn down and a new arena built in its place. This new
      arena was, for some reason, specifically designed so that it can not
      possibly hold a rink anywhere near regulation size. I don't know the
      details, but I assume that the location of the permanent seating is
      such that there's far less than 200' x 85' in the center.

      >The IceHawks played in the smaller annex which I believe sat
      >around 2500.

      Not quite that bad -- it seated 3,412.

      >>I do think that Johnstown is in for the foreseeable future but
      >>at some point...
      >
      >That point will come some day, I agree. I've just given up
      >expecting it to come any time soon.

      I don't expect Johnstown to go anywhere. I expect to see the implosion
      to continue, and I expect it to hurt non-traditional markets more than
      traditional markets. I think the minor league hockey landscape will be
      a little more modest in the future, and the Johnstowns and Wheelings
      will be better equipped to survive when they don't have to compete with
      the Pensacolas and Lafayettes.

      >1. They expected more of the small-market midwestern IHL teams to
      >follow Peoria's lead and move down to the ECHL.

      Erase the "to the ECHL" and they did -- Fort Wayne and Kalamazoo to the
      UHL and Indianapolis to the CHL. The ECHL's only mistake was assuming
      they were the only game in town. Kalamazoo would have been stretching
      things, but I think Fort Wayne would have been a great ECHL city.
      However, the UHL proposed a better deal, and got a very solid team as a
      result.

      >2. Some of the stronger Colonial League teams would give u on
      >that league and move to the ECHL (Quad City for example).

      I have heard rumors that Quad City actually approached the ECHL and was
      turned down. I don't know the details, however, and the rumor may be
      totally unfounded.

      -----
      "Throughout human history, the apostles of purity,
      those who have claimed to possess a total explanation,
      have wrought havoc among mere mixed-up human beings."
      - Salman Rushdie
    • Ralph Slate
      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 6 5:40 AM
        >In the year Fresno played in the SuHL, they also
        >played in some mystereous semi-pro league called the
        >Pacific Coast Hockey League - 'mystereous' since I
        >have never seen neither the standings, statistics nor
        >the other teams listed for this league. I remember
        >seeing this ghost league's name cropping up
        >occassionally in "Hockey Ink!"

        I have a few rosters from a few teams on my site:

        http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/pshl1995.html

        They are courtesy of Kurt Wahlsen, who played in the league. I think that a lot of the games were played in Fresno, and some in San Diego. I don't think all teams had a home rink. The games were more-or-less weekend only, and some "big name" players were flown in, like Rick Chartraw, for example)

        A lot of the Alaska guys played at U. of Alaska. You can see the checklist of their trading card set here:

        http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/cards/setdetail.php3?set_id=627

        and see the players. Sometimes I don't have any stats listed for them.

        Ralph