Re: [hockhist] Logos!

  • ÐÆ L†V†NG ©¤Œþ§Ë
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2000
      I believe that as long as you give credit to the proper owners or where
      u get them from then I believe that they can't touch u...and if the team
      has been defunct for over 15 years then there shouldn't be any copyright
      left...but Im not 100% sure.

      David Stewart-Candy wrote:

      > Does anyone have anuy experience utilising logos in
      > any of their published research work?
      >
      > I am curious about the copyright laws and what hoops
      > one needs to jump through to get the use of logos in a
      > research project. It would be regarding the use of old
      > (not current) CFL team logos, if that means anything.
      >
      > Many thanks!
      >
      > D!
      >
      > =====
      > David Stewart-Candy
      > International Ice Hockey Almanac
      > Vancouver, British Columbia

    • David Stewart-Candy

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2000
          I recently asked this question of a self publisher. There immediate
          response was it's not a problem as long as you make note of it under your
          own copyright notation. They did say I should check with the copyright
          office to be sure. Just haven't got around to it yet. They are accessible
          on the internet.

          Darren

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2000
            To be on the safe side, I would ask the individual teams for
            permission to use the logos. The marketing departments of
            the teams may be able to advise you who's in charge of
            clearances and/or permissions.

            If your project is non-commercial, you probably wouldn't
            have to pay a fee. You may have to acknowledge the use of
            the images, and the owner of the trademark may have a
            preferred credit, such as "Courtesy of the Toronto
            Argonauts," you must use. Hell, if they're really nice they
            might even supply a decent original for you to scan and
            reproduce.

            BTW, copyright law isn't relevant here, trademark law is.

            Registered trademarks are valid for 15 years and are
            renewable at the end of every 15-year period. All that means
            is that the government has a record of who owns the
            trademark. However, as long as someone can prove they own a
            trademark it's their intellectual property, even if it's not registered.

            Industry Canada keeps track of trademark registrations in
            Canada, and it's possible to search for registered
            trademarks at this Web address:

            http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/cipo/tm/tm_main-e.html

            Their database will show you trademarks that are currently
            active as well as those that have been abandoned or not renewed.

            I'm not a lawyer, nor have I ever edited one, but I would
            hazard a guess that the fact that a trademark has not been
            re-registered does not mean the owners have released it into
            the public domain! So it's worth hunting down the owner and
            getting permission.

            The government does _not_ protect trademarks. It's up to the
            individual trademark owners to defend their own marks and
            prevent others from misappropriating them or reproducing
            them without permission.

            Similarly, the onus is on the person who wants to reproduce
            the trademark to find the owner and request permission.

            Off-topic aside: I used to do quite a lot of picture
            research to find images for those big splashy coffee-table
            books. Sometimes we'd have several copies of a particular
            photo, from different collectors and image libraries. Our
            rule of thumb was to scan the best print we had, but to pay
            whichever source demanded the lowest fee! High-end image
            banks might ask $100 to use a picture, while a private
            collector might want nothing more than a copy of the book
            his photos appeared in. So finding the pictures was only
            half the job. Finding the "right" person to credit was
            another skill entirely.

            --
            Lloyd Davis
            Lloyd Davis Publishing Services
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2000
              Thanks!

              --- <ETH>� L�V�NG �?�<thorn>�� <corpse@...>

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31, 2000
                Thanks!

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 31, 2000
                  This is great information; thanks Lloyd!

                  D!

                  =====