Re: [hockhist] Rocket Richard

  • Frank TEX Liebmann
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000
      > Were there any NHLers that came back from military service and "picked from
      > where they left off" ala Ted Williams?

      Ted Williams served in two wars, and still won five triple crowns. The Boston
      press was very brutal on the guy due to his personality. I guess you're going
      to have some rough edges after being in war.

      Perhaps I should post this on the SABR list instead.

      Frank
    • Darren Becker
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000
        Geeze... All I meant by saying he had flat feet was that he had flat feet
        and that was the reason as I understood it why he didn't enlist. I'm
        pretty sure I heard that in a documentary a while back and it caught my
        attention since I also have flat feet which limited my own options many
        years ago when considering joining the forces.

        As Dave Clamen can attest, I have a hockey mural on a wall in my house that
        I painted and it includes a life sized shot of Richard. I even recently
        bought a souvenir puck from 1955 commemorating Richard's 500th goal. I'm a
        staunch Canadien's fan (even now and have an outstanding bet for a large
        sum of money that Montreal will win another Cup before the Leafs will) and
        have always been one.

        Apology accepted. Enough of the military stuff. Back to hockey.

        I am Darren! And I AM a CANADIENS fan!

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000
          >> Were there any NHLers that came back from military service and "picked from
          >> where they left off" ala Ted Williams?

          How about Max Bentley. After missing 1943 to 1945, he came back and won
          scoring titles in 1945-46 and 1946-47, after finishing 3rd in 1942-43. He
          got traded to Toronto in 1947-48, and had some good years, but not nearly
          that good. But that would be more because of Toronto's system than a loss
          of skill. He was 23-24 years old during the seasons he missed.

          Milt Schmidt had 35 points in 36 games in 1941-42 before joining up. In
          46-47 he was 4th in scoring and turns up in the top 10 a couple times after
          that. He was MVP in 1951. He was also in his mid 20s and he lost 3 and a
          half years to military service.

          Bobby Bauer also had a good season in 46-47, winning his third Lady Byng
          and making the Second All-Star Team, but for some reason he retired that
          year and went to play Senior in Kitchener, Ont.

          There's also Woody Dumart, Gaye Stewart, Black Jack Stewart, Sid Abel,
          Wally Stanowski.

          In goal there's Turk Broda, who won the Stanley Cup in '47 and '48 and the
          Vezina in 1948. But Frank Brimsek -- a rare NHLer who was in the _American_
          military -- wasn't as good when he got back. Chuck Rayner was just starting
          out with the NY Americans before he entered the military. His pre- and
          post-service records (with the NY Rangers) are about the same because he
          had dreadful teams in front of him.