Re: [hockhist] player comparisons

  • FYFFE IAIN ROBERT
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2000
      > Kevin Hatcher doesn't really have a mean streak though. Not like
      > Derian anyways. That's always been one of the knocks on him,
      > he could have been great if he was more nasty. I like Ultimate
      > Hockey's comparison of Babe Pratt to Kevin Hatcher. Perhaps
      > Dave Manson in one of his better years for Corbeau.

      Comparisons have to be for a career, not on eyear, or else they
      have little meaning. I still like Hatcher - Corbeau, because I've
      seen Kevin Hatcher do some pretty dirty things on the ice.

      Iain.
    • FYFFE IAIN ROBERT
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2000
        > Thanks Iain! It was I who posted that request. I think it is fascinating
        > and a great way to tap into the minds of some of our members here
        > on the list. I pretty much gave up hope on anyone replying to that,
        > figuring no one cared. So I'm glad you did Iain!
        >
        > Couple of questions - Was Gerry Lowrey good defensively? I've
        > always felt Cassels was underrated defensively, as he's played on
        > some bad teams. I got a really good up close look at him with the
        > Canucks this year and he remains a favorite of mine in his class
        > of player.
        >
        > Also, Hockey Night In Canada recently compared Mats Sundin
        > to Frank Mahovlich in that both could be really dominant at times,
        > but never really achieved that consistant elite dominance level
        > that the press and fans thought they should have. Comments?

        I can't really say much about Lowrey's defence -- I don't really
        know. As for Sundin, I would wait for his career to be near its end
        before judging whether or not he fulfilled his potential. That's why I
        don't like using players in the middle of their careers for
        comparison - who knows what they'll do in the future.

        Iain.