Re: [hockhist] WHA exhibition in Portland

  • Dana Shima
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2000
      I G B wrote:

      > Since there are some WHA fans, enthusiasts, and historians on the list, I
      > thought there might be a couple people out there who might enjoy reading
      > this.

      Like me!

      10/7/1974

      > 'Icy' response given to WHA
      >
      > By RON OLSON
      > of The Oregonian staff
      >
      > If Sunday night's exhibition game between the Vancouver Blazers and San
      > Diego Mariners at Memorial Coliseum was any indication, the World Hockey
      > Association's debut in Portland was about as encouraging as the stock
      > market of late.
      >
      > It bombed.

      I wonder if there was a lot of resentment from the Portland fans for the
      demise of the Buckaroos. In San Diego, many WHL Gulls fans boycotted the
      Mariners and attendance dropped somewhat during the Mariner's era.

      > There was behind-the-scenes talk that the contest was to be a "feeler"
      > for Portland - to see if the city might warrant consideration for a
      > possible future franchise.

      I do remember reading WHA co-founder Gary Davidson's book "Breaking the Game
      Wide Open" about letting all the big city WHL teams in for a fairly
      reasonable franchise fee. Can't remember all the details.

      > The Mariners held a 1-0 advantage after one period when center Brian
      > Morenz corraled a loose puck from a scramble to Donnelly's left, skated
      > toward the net and flipped a 25-footer to the far side of the net.
      >
      > Lawson tied the score late in the second period when he took a pass from
      > highly-touted rookie Ron Chipperfield on a two-on-one break and in one
      > motion rifled home a 15-footer.
      >
      > SAN DIEGO . . . 1 0 0 0 - 1
      > VANCOUVER . . .0 1 0 1 - 2
      >
      > FIRST PERIOD
      > 1. San Diego, Morenz (unassisted) 6:28
      > Penalties - McNamee (V, high-sticking, roughing) 1:15; Morrison (SD,
      > high-sticking, roughing) 1:15; Ingils (? - smeared original print) (SD,

      LW Lee Inglis who played mostly with the Mariner's farm team in Syracuse that
      season and a handful of games with the parent club.

      Joep,

      If you are reading this; according to my 75-76 Mariner guide, Inglis played
      in Holland for the 72-73 season. Can you confirm that? And if so, what was
      his team, league, and stats for the season.

      > Penalties - Driscoll (V, elbowing) 4:29; Krezanski (SD, high-sticking)

      Reg Krezanski. I actually saw him last Saturday at the Gulls game with 2/3
      of the Hansen Brothers and a bunch of San Diego oldtimers, some of them who
      actually remember the PCHL Skyhawks.

      > OVERTIME
      > 3. Vancouver, Lawson (Burgess) 2:58

      Don Burgess who became a Mariner in the next season.
      GOALIES

      > San Diego: Judkin (? - smeared original print), Denoncourt

      Joe Junkin. I've never heard of Denoncourt.

      Dana
    • I G B
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2000
        On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 01:05:47 -0800 Dana Shima <orangeco@...>
        writes:

        > > If Sunday night's exhibition game between the Vancouver Blazers
        > and San
        > > Diego Mariners at Memorial Coliseum was any indication, the World
        > Hockey
        > > Association's debut in Portland was about as encouraging as the
        > stock
        > > market of late.
        > >
        > > It bombed.
        >
        > I wonder if there was a lot of resentment from the Portland fans for
        > the
        > demise of the Buckaroos. In San Diego, many WHL Gulls fans
        > boycotted the
        > Mariners and attendance dropped somewhat during the Mariner's era.

        It's hard to say. I really don't know.

        I do know, however, that the senior Buckaroos (made up of many of the
        same WHL Bucks) were about to start their season in the WIHL. On October
        5th, (the night before the WHA game) the WIHL Buckaroos played an
        exhibition game vs. New Westminster in front of approximately 1,200 fans
        in a half-full Jantzen Ice Arena.

        I don't know if the fans felt priced out of the WHA game or not. IMO,
        compared to Trail Blazers tickets of the era, the WHA game was quite a
        deal. From the Oregonian ad: "Tickets - $5, $4, $3. Students 16 and
        under 1/2 price." I can't imagine the WIHL Buckaroos tickets being any
        more than that.

        > I do remember reading WHA co-founder Gary Davidson's book "Breaking
        > the Game
        > Wide Open" about letting all the big city WHL teams in for a fairly
        > reasonable franchise fee. Can't remember all the details.

        Hmm...Is that book still in print? I'm sure some stuff is out of date,
        and it would be from Davidson's side of the story, but I'd be interested
        in reading it for the historic value.

        > > Ingils (? - smeared original print)
        >
        > LW Lee Inglis who played mostly with the Mariner's farm team in
        > Syracuse that
        > season and a handful of games with the parent club.

        Thanks Dana. I don't know why I didn't think of this until now, but I
        really should've checked out Ralph's site to get the right names. Of
        course, I could've run into the problem of the players not having any
        regular season stats, but as we see, that wasn't the case. Thanks again!

        > Reg Krezanski. I actually saw him last Saturday at the Gulls game
        > with 2/3
        > of the Hansen Brothers and a bunch of San Diego oldtimers, some of
        > them who
        > actually remember the PCHL Skyhawks.

        I don't want to degenerate this thread (or any other, for that matter)
        into a Slapshot review, but why don't the "Hanson Brothers" do their
        routine anymore? I thought I heard something about Jack or Jeff Carlson
        having no interest in it? I don't mean to spread around rumor, I'm just
        looking for the real info.

        > GOALIES
        >
        > > San Diego: Judkin (? - smeared original print), Denoncourt
        >
        > Joe Junkin. I've never heard of Denoncourt.

        Ah, thanks again Dana!

        Ian
        Sports editorials and more at:
        http://homestead.juno.com/vaughnst/index.html