Re: [hockhist] Digest Number 584

  • James Karkoski
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2000
      Hi Marc;

      >Was there a reason Harvey was in KC, and not St. Louis? He played the
      >next season in St. Louis, but I can't imagine why Scoty Bowman couldn't
      >use him earlier, especially considering it was the first season for the
      >Second Six.

      Harvey was the player coach for the KC Blues in 67-68, so the STL Blues
      would have to find another coach for the team if they did call him up.
      They did sign him for the playoffs where did play well enough so that he
      was on the team the next season.

      It generally is considered that Harvey was traded to the Rangers by the
      Canadiens because of his activity with the NHLPA. When he was with the
      Rangers, he was travelling between Montreal and New York City a lot
      because of his business in Quebec. And, I seem to remember that his wife
      didn't like NYC at all. When the Rangers soured on him, it was into the
      AHL for him.

      Another interesting thing about him was that he worked in the front
      office for the Houston Aeros when the WHA started up. I also seem to
      remember him feeling that he was black balled into the AHL by the NHL.
      Although, his tryout with the Red Wings in 66-67 did show that he wasn't
      entirely forgotten by the NHL before the expansion.

      James