54587Hockey Night in Canada 1962-64

  • coolbrul
    Jun 19 6:55 PM
      I'm deep into research on the history of national on-air TV crews for hockey telecasts on both sides of the border.

      There are a few questions that I have, but I'm going to focus on the one that is most vexing to me: Namely the color analysts for the 1962-63 and 1963-64 seasons for the Toronto telecasts.

      As I understand, Bill Hewitt worked by himself in the Maple Leaf Gardens gondola for the 1961-62 season after his dad Foster went back to the radio full-time. In 1964-65 as I understand, Brian McFarlane joined Bill in the gondola as analyst and thus began a lengthy career with HNIC.

      The 1962-63 and 1963-64 seasons though - to my knowledge - featured a number of newspaper writers, columnists and beat writers alike, that assisted Hewitt with the call. I can guess that men like Milt Dunnell, George Gross, Red Fisher, Scott Young, Elmer Ferguson helped out and maybe when the U.S. based teams came to MLG, Hewitt may have been aided by Fran Rosa, Ted Damata, and others from New York and Detroit.

      Does anyone out there have any further information they are willing to share on who exactly worked these games with Hewitt? I don't really need specific assignments, just a definitive listing would be great.

      Thanks!!