54270Re: Any knowledge of NHL 1969 territorial claims to players?

  • Paul Shallenberger
    Jul 3, 2012
      I have no info on the 1969 process other than the three names (Rick Newell, Dave Hrechkosy, and John Bednarski) who became property of the New York Rangers when they signed pro contracts in 1971/72 and that they had a connection to Winnipeg.
      Some online information mentions "re-claims" and territorial exemptions.
      So I am appealing to the hockey historians on any info they can provide.
      You mention the 1968 Special Internal Amateur Draft in which goaler Dunc Wilson become Philadelphia Flyer property after being chosen from a Boston Bruins sponsored team (Oshawa Generals).
      I have found two other names of players who may have the same arcane origin into professional hockey:
      Gerry Hart, first NHL team Detroit Red Wings, last amateur team Flin Flon Bombers (67-68), and Joe Zanussi, also Detroit via Swift Current Broncos (67-68).
      Ok you NHL history buffs. Please let me know if you can help solve the mysteries.