53958Re: KHL challenge for the Stanley Cup

  • MoreyH
    Jul 5, 2011
      Oh I strongly agree and disagree with you.

      I ran league, I played, I coached, I officiated - just not at the highest level. I developed a rule book for wheelchari hockey and even had a couple of IHL referees moonlight.

      Fights did occur in those games too.

      You're correct when you say that you can not be black-and-white. I once had a fight between two sons of the coaches, both of whom were mellow kids and the last two people you ever expected in a fight.

      I don;t know why the fight started, but we had a an automatic one game suspension for a fight. As the fight occurred in the last regular season game, their first-round opponents naturally wanted the automatic suspension.

      I looked at the details, and determined there was no way I was going to reward the other teams for a fight for a reason no one remembers, including the referee, how it started or even why. I did tell the players and the coaches however, if there ever was another fight, the kids and their coach would get a minimum 2-game suspension, no matter the circumstances.

      Neither kid was ever a problem.

      The differences between myself (then) and the NHL are:

      1. No vested interests. I was there for everyone. I didn't pull a referee aside and ask how come my son's team was getting screwed. (Still can't believe that Bettman & Co. see nothing wrong with that.)

      2. I was consistent. I would make the exact same ruling if those exact same circumstances came up. I dealt with a 15-year-old giving a two-handed whirlybird in a playoff game to a much bigger opponent and felling him like a lumberjack to an oak tree. He was banished. The agressor was an all-star. He was banished.

      3. I didn't make the rules up as I went along, but I did. And I can always defend myself. Two words Sabres fans: Brett Hull.

      4. Even though I had friends who were coaches - one of the officiants for my wedding, for instance - I refused to run my league like the Old Boys Network. This was who I was, and what I'm doing. If you don't like it, well, don't let the swinging bench doors hit your fanny on the way out. The Old Boys Club has been so intertwined with the NHL for so many years - one of the Hall of Fame officials told me that the way the Hall elections worked well into the 1980s was that Harold Ballard and Bill Wirtz would have lunch, come to an agreement, and tell the committee that if they liked their prestigious job, this is who gets elected - that the NHL COULDN'T get rid of the Old Boys CLub even if it desired to. The Jacobs' and Sniders have given (and made) way too much to ever let that happen.