52679Re: [hockhist] Why not Hamilton?

  • John Edwards
    Sep 2, 2009
      1. There was no functional difference. The selection of Columbus was,
      in fact, criticized because the NHL had expanded into a "minor league"
      city.

      As for the CFL, I don't think there's any question that in the North
      American market, the CFL is a minor league. A bundle of rules
      differences does not change the fact that it is still football. Would
      you consider the Arena Football League a major league? What about AF2?
      Certainly not, despite the fact that there is no other league in the
      world that plays Arena football at such a high calibre.

      I stand by my previous statement: the American equivalent to Hamilton
      is Grand Rapids, MI. Albany, NY might also qualify.

      2. The NHL has consistently chosen the option that shoots itself in
      the foot. The league never misses an opportunity to miss an
      opportunity. In the 1960s, they were unwilling to adapt to networks'
      requests to the point where they almost started covering the WHL
      instead. In the 1980s, the league jumped into bed with SportsChannel
      America - a network that was in about 47 homes at the time. In 1994,
      after the Rangers put the league into the national consciousness (New
      York drives that bus more than Americans like to admit), the NHL
      responded by shutting down for four months - killing any momentum they
      had. After the latest lockout, they again chose to align themselves
      with a little-known and largely unseen cable channel, failing to
      recognize that ESPN had a virtual monopoly on national sports coverage
      and that they'll ignore what they don't cover.

      Americans have bought enough ridiculous concepts that I refuse to
      believe the contention that hockey can not be sold to them. It has not
      been successfully to date, but that does not mean it is impossible.

      John

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic