52619Re: [hockhist] Re:NHL Doesn't Trust Jim Balsillie

  • Karkoski James
    Aug 1, 2009
      On 2009/08/01, at 2:05, William Underwood wrote:

      > What will be telling about Bettman is how the league reacts to other
      > relocation bids.would Bettman fight like a tiger if it was say
      > Edmonton
      > trying to move to Vegas? We have not really seen such vehement
      > opposition
      > to that--witness Winnipeg and Quebec.Granted they had facility issue
      > but
      > Bettman seemed to do little to even try to overcome them.

      Phoenix is all about an arena issue. The NHL gets the city of
      Glendale to pitch in
      and build an arena and then they are going to let the team move five
      years after?

      Somebody mentioned it awhile back on the list, the NHL did back the
      drive which kept the Oilers in Edmonton in
      when they let a large ownership group purchase the team at a
      considerably lower price than the bid that was on the
      table to move the team to Houston.

      And I'd attack the weak middle.go to war head to head for
      players ONLY against the weakest markets.

      Start a rival league in the middle of a pretty deep recession?

      James