52181Re: [hockhist] Re: Plante & Parent 1971

  • Paul Patskou
    Aug 8, 2008
      It sure was controversial to the Leaf players.

      When we were filming our Leaf Classic Games shows, we
      aired a number of games from the 1970-71 season and 3
      games from the '71 QF between the Leafs and Rangers.

      Besides answering the questions we posed on air, the
      players talked a lot off camera to us about that
      series. The Leaf players questioned putting Plante in
      net for that final game. At that time in 1971, Bernie
      Parent hadn't established himself in the hockey world
      as the star he was later to become. But even then, the
      Leaf players had more confidence in Parent than

      Jacques Plante was not well liked by his Leaf
      teammates and whether they were 'coached' by Plante is
      very debatable. The players were aware that Plante
      chose which games he would play in during the season,
      often facing the less formidable opponents. Plante's
      personality was also grating and the Leaf players
      interviewed for our show remembered and told us some
      of the frivolous demands made on Leaf management by
      Plante throughout the year.

      Why did John McLellan use Plante in that game? Coaches
      almost always go the veteran in big games because of
      the success those goalies had in the past. To Plante's
      credit, he agreed to play and didn't play a bad game.

      You just can't get this type of information by reading
      newspapers, you have to be lucky enough to have the
      players involved speak candidly to you.

      I always say: The players know.

      As far as Bob Baun goes, the Rangers did target Baun
      in the series because he was the veteran who had
      played in past playoff battles. The rest of the Leaf
      defence were relatively inexperienced and were
      mentored by Baun (not Plante). Baun was the type of
      aggressive defenceman that all teams targetting at
      that time. And Baun's battles with Vic Hadfield in the
      series were also a result of an on-going feud they had
      since the mid-60's. Baun was a courageous players who
      backed down from no one.

      Too bad this young Leaf team was broken up by
      defections to the WHA.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic