52179Re: [hockhist] Re: Plante & Parent 1971

    Aug 8, 2008
      I don't think it was a controversial move at all. The Globe and Mail
      didn't mention the change at all.

      No knock on Dorey. Here's the defence the Leafs started 1970-71 with:

      Dorey, 23 years old, 107 NHL games.
      Glennie, 24 years old, 52 games.
      Ley, 22 years old, 86 games.
      McKenny, 24 years old, 93 games.
      Pelyk, 23 years old, 125 games.

      There was also Brad Selwood, 22, who had yet to play in the NHL.

      That's a decided experience gap. The lone veteran, Horton, had been
      traded.

      One of the things the Leafs sought from Plante when they acquired him
      was to instruct the defence. It's no secret that he had strong ideas
      about how he wanted his defencemen to play -- his style was rooted in
      his own frustration with a weak defence corps's inability to get the
      puck out of the defensive zone. The Star did make a comment about the
      Leafs defence trying to "stickhandle" too much in game four, rather
      than headmanning the puck.

      I don't think it's any surprise that, after acquiring Plante and Baun
      (who'd played more than 800 games), the Leafs went from ninth in
      goals against to sixth in 1970-71 and '71-72 -- with totals
      comparable to Boston and Montreal in those two seasons. These two
      players made that young defence corps look good.

      I don't note any explicit complaint about Dorey, but there were
      comments that Baun was the only Leaf defenceman hitting anyone in the
      series. Since Dorey's game was largely physical, perhaps he was being
      damned indirectly.

      --
      Lloyd Davis
      Butterfield 8 Inc.