52178Re: [hockhist] Plante & Parent 1971

    Aug 7, 2008
      In the Toronto Star on April 14, Jim Proudfoot wrote that the Rangers
      had been targeting Bob Baun, who had missed the last six games of the
      1970-71 season due to neck and back injuries. He quoted Ted Irvine as
      saying "I think we're finally getting to Bobby Baun just a little
      bit," and "He's the guy we've got to go after, because he's the key
      to their defence." Bear in mind, the rest of the Leafs defence were
      fairly green.

      In the same day's Star, Red Burnett commented, "In the past, when
      Leafs faced a win-or-else obstacle, coach John McLellan called on
      goalie Jacques Plante, veteran miracle worker, to pull the team out
      of the skid.

      "On those occasions, however, Plante was replacing a shaky Bruce
      Gamble, now with Philadelphia Flyers. This time, he will be called on
      to improve on a brilliant Parent. And, goal was the one place Leafs
      looked respectable last night."

      "However, Plante has the knack of settling down Leafs' young
      defencemen. And, for this reason, one has to figure the veteran will
      get the assignment in this win-or-pack-up contest."

      In game 5, Ted Irvine scored 34 seconds into the first period. He was
      on the checking line, which Emile Francis started to neutralize the
      Henderson-Ullman-Ellis line. "[Parent] made three saves before Irvine
      sank his own rebound."

      Burnett wrote that the Rangers defence "played solid, clever hockey.
      They either sent their forwards away with quick, smooth passes or
      lugged the puck out of danger. By comparison, the Leaf defenders,
      with the exception of Baun, were guilty of too much stickhandling
      near their goal crease. This created havoc for Parent and anchored
      the forwards."

      The next day, Milt Dunnell of the Star wrote: "So what does McLellan
      hope to gain by making a change? It's strictly a psychological thing,
      professor. Now that the Rangers are congratulating themselves on
      getting rid of the Parent hex, which was a hangover from his days in
      Philadelphia, maybe Plante will throw them out of gear.

      "There is also the possibility that McLellan might be thinking of
      next season. He wouldn't want to send Jacques into summer quarters
      suffering from a suspicion that his services no longer are
      appreciated in these parts. ..."

      So we have a few possibilities which are not mutually exclusive: 1)
      that McLellan just wanted to throw something different at the
      Rangers; 2) that McLellan had a habit of turning to Plante in big
      games; 3) that Plante had a positive effect on a disorganized defence
      corps (a role Baun also played), and with him in net the Rangers
      might not get fourth chances the way they had against Parent in game 5.

      --
      Lloyd Davis
      ldaviseditor@...